MickAff

Wild mushrooms

207 posts in this topic

Hi all.

Was just wondering if you would eat these mushrooms

I think I know what the first ones are, no idea about the second group.  You want to avoid eating any gilled mushrooms that you are not absolutely certain of, because a mistake could be deadly.  Google amanita virosa, Amanita phalloides.

That being said, by all means seek out a local mushroom club and learn about the safe edibles that grow in your area.  Mushroom hunting is a great hobby, and totally safe if you approach it intelligently.

17 mins ago, derangler said:

That being said, by all means seek out a local mushroom club and learn about the safe edibles that grow in your area.  Mushroom hunting is a great hobby, and totally safe if you approach it intelligently.

Good advice, thanks derangler :th:

Check out these beauties

20180531_122233.jpg

20180531_122229.jpg

20180531_122257.jpg

20180531_122251.jpg

20180531_122310.jpg

Posted (edited)

Amanita phalloides = Death Cap 

Amanita vimosa = Destroying Angel 

:scared::scared:

Amanita phalloides.jpg

Amanita virosa.jpg

Edited by MickAff

Much like fishing, an afternoon with someone who really knows what they're doing will teach you more than anything you'll learn on the internet.  No one's going to give up their honey holes, but just about everyone is willing to explore a new spot and talk about the hobby with anyone who expresses an interest.

I would not eat any mushrooms that are growing in grass that has been  chemically treated.

I am only comfortable with hen of the woods and oysters and recently started with morels.

derangler has best advice.  you cant always tell from a picture.   sporeprints, smell and feel and sometimes breaking it in half is the best way to tell what you got.

I won't eat any of them.

I just enjoy photographing and sharing the pics with you guys.

Fungi fascinates me