beatonem

Job Transfer- Florida here I come !

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

A guide in Crystal River use's only wooden plugs he has hand made (Cedar mostly) look for the Lureman site, Capt Dave  a real open Guide and loves to talk about his lurres

13 hours ago, beatonem said:

With all of you gentlemens advice, it seems like I should be well prepared for the majority of fishing opportunities I will encounter.  The only thing I guess is what to do with my 11ft rods and big wood plugs ? lol.

Do you guys ever use wood plugs. Im dying to catch on em down there? Or am I wasting my energy. ?

Not wasting your energy at all. You'd be surprised at how well some of the striper lures used up north work down here. Lures like the big Delta Wood Poppers are great for Tarpon. Heck, I have a bunch of lures used up north for stripers and use them to catch blacktip sharks! Of course they have to be modified a bit LoL.

Don't be so fast to loose your rods, ether. Your 11 footer is fine for surfcasting most any coast here in Florida. Just consider things like line capacity, drag, good quality braid and leaders, precise knots...things like that for when the big girls hit.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wouldn’t go near an angry poon mouth with a  plug that is armed with two treble hooks, but whatever floats your boat.

Edited by quest450

9 hours ago, quest450 said:

I wouldn’t go near an angry poon mouth with a  plug that is armed with two treble hooks, but whatever floats your boat.

I wouldn’t either. That’s why I said in my post that my lures are “modified a bit”. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Be careful working poppers around pelicans. They're not like birds up north that fly over and give them a long hard look. Pelicans will actually try to eat them. At least that's my experience working poppers down here.

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

12 mins ago, Fishing & Hunting said:

Be careful working poppers around pelicans. They're not like birds up north that fly over and give them a long hard look. Pelicans will actually try to eat them. At least that's my experience working poppers down here.

Are you saying even the birds are dumber down here?  Florida gets no respect. Lol

An 11 foot surf rod may come in handy if you ever plan to go surfcasting on the east coast.  I know the ocean surf in southeast Florida is very calm compared to say New Jersey or Long Island. Occasionally when those rare winter cold fronts come through then the surf can get just as rough. 

I use lots of popular northeast lures in Florida. Salt Pro Minnows, Super Strike poppers and darters, Charle Grave and Point Jude tins. They all work great down here. 

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

25 mins ago, kroc said:

Are you saying even the birds are dumber down here?  Florida gets no respect. Lol

That's Flori-duh for you. Lol... It's a great place to live and fish, just be careful of the stupid Pelicans. Not only do they eat your poppers, if you're filleting fish and throw a big piece of scrap into the water they'll eat it and choke to death.

Good to know about the pelicans.  Yeah the seagulls become a problem more with bait then plugs.  It has happened but a little fight, towel over the head fairly quick release. I am gonna bring everything and use it.  Once ive been down for a while and comfortable I can weed things out down the road.  I appreciate all the info.  

Maybe Ill even run into some of you fellas out there.  Tight lines and safe 2018 to all.

20180414_140312.jpg

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Any deer or disease carrying ticks in FL ? That would be one reason for long pants. :shaky:

Actually in my area of Fort Pierce bugs are as rare as sea gulls. I dont own any pants. I have 88 pair of board shorts.

Edited by barrell

On 6/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, Slacker said:

Have any thoughts on the Pensacola area?  I'm itching to make a trip there and am having trouble getting decent intel.

I moved to Pcola six years ago and then moved along the coast to Alabama.  We fish regularly.  For Pensacola info, check out the Pensacola Fishing Forum or call Outcast Bait and Tackle in Pensacola.  Lots of piers and bridges to fish, and the off shore for snappers, groupers, amberjack and many more species is really great.  Lot of good party and charter boats in the area too.  Send me a PM if you make plans     Steve

On 5/30/2018 at 7:59 PM, beatonem said:

Will be moving down early July to work in Port Charlotte and live in the area, Northport. Punta Gorda not sure on that yet.  If you see a dude geared up for NE surf that will be me haha ! Was down this passed weekend. Crappy weather and do so fishing.  Dropped a slob snook on a yozuri swimmer last night.  Looking forward to this forum,  Bent rods to all.

Welcome, your not too far from me. I'm up in Bradenton. How has the fishing been down there? What are you targeting?