beatonem

Job Transfer- Florida here I come !

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Will be moving down early July to work in Port Charlotte and live in the area, Northport. Punta Gorda not sure on that yet.  If you see a dude geared up for NE surf that will be me haha ! Was down this passed weekend. Crappy weather and do so fishing.  Dropped a slob snook on a yozuri swimmer last night.  Looking forward to this forum,  Bent rods to all.

Pack your umbrella, it’s rainy season. 

You will get used to the rain and just go on with life around it. It rains you go out and do whatever you like. Watch for the lightning, heed the warnings you get. You’ll find yourself hiding under a bridge more than once to get away from it while out on the water. 

Good luck with the move and welcome to the warm weather all year long. Beats the heck out of long underwear. 

I sold a lot of my tackle, and rods reels after we moved here. Kept some stuff when I visit back in NJ. But limited. It’s a different animal with the gear. You’ll go from 14oz sinkers to 1/8 oz. Size 6/0 hooks to size 1. 30lb test to 10. 

I know.  Just not sure I can sell all my stuff.  I always chuckle watching guys fight big reds or snook from the bridges and fight them till near death on freshwater bass rods.  It is a different animal for sure.  There will be a learning curve and I do have a decent amount of experience down there.  The weather doesnt really bother me.  NY gets sticky and wet as well.  Thanks 

On 5/30/2018 at 8:34 PM, saltfisherman said:

Pack your umbrella, it’s rainy season. 

You will get used to the rain and just go on with life around it. It rains you go out and do whatever you like. Watch for the lightning, heed the warnings you get. You’ll find yourself hiding under a bridge more than once to get away from it while out on the water. 

Good luck with the move and welcome to the warm weather all year long. Beats the heck out of long underwear. 

I sold a lot of my tackle, and rods reels after we moved here. Kept some stuff when I visit back in NJ. But limited. It’s a different animal with the gear. You’ll go from 14oz sinkers to 1/8 oz. Size 6/0 hooks to size 1. 30lb test to 10. 

Florida is really diverse. Depends on where you live and what you fish. In NJ I commonly used 30 pound line and leader. In Florida most of my rods have 80 pound braid and I never use leader under 60 pound test. My reels also doubled in size. I do a lot of deep water bottom fishing.

9 mins ago, barrell said:

Florida is really diverse. Depends on where you live and what you fish. In NJ I commonly used 30 pound line and leader. In Florida most of my rods have 80 pound braid and I never use leader under 60 pound test. My reels also doubled in size. I do a lot of deep water bottom fishing.

East coast, true. SWFL gulf, leave the heavy stuff at home. Unless, you fish well offshore. I fish the tortugas couple times a year and there the gear changes. On a whole it’s trout fishing gear here. 

I have a green light in the water off my dock all the trout hang on the light every night. Its almost boring and I never have to leave my back deck to fish small tarpon ,snook,and trout. Thats why I head off the beach for some real fishing. We break off half what we hook on 80 pound braid. Its exciting and exhausting .

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your first stop should be Fishin Franks ,4425-D Tamiami in Port Charlotte.

Best tackle shop going.

My parents have a place Port Charlotte.

Best fishing in Florida.

Love it down there.

Lots of piers.

If you have a boat ,there is always a place to fish.

Have fun.

Can't go wrong in that area.

Edited by BC FD

39 mins ago, barrell said:

I have a green light in the water off my dock all the trout hang on the light every night. Its almost boring and I never have to leave my back deck to fish small tarpon ,snook,and trout. Thats why I head off the beach for some real fishing. We break off half what we hook on 80 pound braid. Its exciting and exhausting .

Hello, he’s moving to SWFL not the east coast. That is why we have spoken about smaller gear. You really need to read the original thread post. 

30 series maybe a 40 series reel is good for most stuff in the harbour unless you are fishing tarpon. snapper , sea trout , Spanish mackerel. Lots of fun on the light stuff.

15 lb braid with a 25lb flouro leader. Maybe 40lb if you are fishing Spanish macs.

Thats pretty small minded. I and my wife and everybody I know in Florida travel all over the state to fish No body just stays in one spot. There are plenty of big fish to be caught on the sw coast you need to do more research if you think all they have is small seatrout. Some of the best grouper fishing is over there. Limiting oneself to catching tiny fish in Florida is insane.

You gentlemen are both correct no need for clarification.  I saw fishin franks shop.  Thats the go to from what Ive heard.  My brother just got a 21 sportsman CC and my sister in law sells for boat house in Cape Coral and they have a dealership in Port Charlotte.  I fish for everything and love bottom fishing as well as open water pelagics.  Canals, bridges, piers and inshore will be my everyday focus with my son and wife as they love to fish as well.  The boat will be occasional until I get one lol !  Its a much more diverse fishery which I am looking forward to experiencing.  I know live bait is popular which I am fine with but love fishing artificials.  Rubber, spooks etc. would be my preferred in the beginning plus bait. Fished on her maiden voyage this past weekend.  Fished the docks for some small trout, cats and snook. Dropped a slob snook on a yozuri swimmer.  Hooks were to small was my guess.  

20180529_224753.jpg

We have a 21' Mako we take down usually. Barrell is right for sure but you didn't mention a boat or your plan. I keep 30,40 and 80 series reels on the boat so we can change up if we need too.

Robert and the rest of the guys at Franks are the go to guys for sure. We always start our day there picking up bait and always end up with a few great tips.

I have had a kayak down there the last 2 trips. Caught a couple of bonnet heads some trout and an 8lb snook on a 30 series Penn reel. That is great fun. Hoping to get down in Novenber after my wife finishes up chemo and radiation treatments for breastcancer. Prognosis is good at this point so hoping to get her a little sunshine and postpone the cold crap for a little longer than normal.

1 hour ago, barrell said:

Thats pretty small minded. I and my wife and everybody I know in Florida travel all over the state to fish No body just stays in one spot. There are plenty of big fish to be caught on the sw coast you need to do more research if you think all they have is small seatrout. Some of the best grouper fishing is over there. Limiting oneself to catching tiny fish in Florida is insane.

Small minded now that’s something coming from someone like you that has a negative comment about items when it comes to kayaks and fishing. Guys ask questions and you right away chime in I don’t use that. Guys ask about flags for visual and lights for visual, you chime in I don’t use them. Heck you don’t use a paddle in a paddle kayak. Must just walk on water. Just because you don’t use them doesn’t mean a person doesn’t qualify to receive a intelligent answer or no answer at all if neg is the only response you own.  Give me a break, some of us don’t use boats to fish so our experience is related to close to shore use. So yes we are limited to smaller variety of fish species regardless of our travels. 

The OP spoke of the guy with NE surf gear. I spoke of smaller gear than the north east. See he said shore fishing, you know see the guy with surf gear. I took that as he’d be fishing from shore line style areas, not deep water from shore. 

Reading comprehension is really lacking with you. 

Guys are catching sailfish, mahi and wahoo every day below palm beach.. On kayaks!!!! Its only a two hour drive for you guys .Go for it! A guy this year landed a 500 pound goliath grouper on a Hobie. Florida is amazing in its fishing diversity. Ive driven and camped the entire 2,000 mile coastline and its different every where. Have fun and travel.

9 mins ago, barrell said:

Guys are catching sailfish, mahi and wahoo every day below palm beach.. On kayaks!!!! Its only a two hour drive for you guys .Go for it! A guy this year landed a 500 pound goliath grouper on a Hobie. Florida is amazing in its fishing diversity. Ive driven and camped the entire 2,000 mile coastline and its different every where. Have fun and travel.

Have any thoughts on the Pensacola area?  I'm itching to make a trip there and am having trouble getting decent intel.