When do you put out the drift sock?

Rate this topic

OK, obviously, when the boat is going too fast.  Question is, how do you decide when that is?

This past weekend, spent some time fluking and did pretty well, but Saturday I was in fast moving water with a bit of wind.  In hindsight, I'm thinking that I should have pulled out the drift sock and might have done better.

I was catching fish though, so it didn't occur to me.  I usually don't bother with it unless I'm not catching, or if from the jump the boat is just moving way too fast.  I'm thinking that from now on, I should have a cutoff in terms of speed, regardless of whether I'm catching.

Do you guys have a rule for when you reach for the sock?

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Deploy the sock when you can't hold bottom....obviously....but more importantly change up your tactics for fluke in a fast current or breezy conditions....Jiggin' isn't the only way ya know.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

I usually will deploy if the drift is greater than 1 kt, I generally don't like using a jig more than 4 oz, other rigs I will up the weight but I like a bucktail with fresh meat, blue or sea robin is my 2 favorites, skin side down.  I learned how to do a split tail blue from Joe Shute this winter and can't wait to try it, best I've ever done was a spot fillet with the tail attached hooked on a 4oz minnow bucktail bouncing over some reef balls.

Edited by Vitalsigns

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, puff tentacle said:

Not looking to hijack the thread ....I recently bought a drift sock for fluke and like using it. I was wondering if it’s ever used when anchored to stop the boat from swinging over a piece of bottom.    I am thinking Blackfishing?

Two anchors deployed in a V shape where the bottom of the V is your bow, and the arms of the V are your anchor lines is a better way of positioning the boat over structure.

Once set up, you can change the scope of the lines to fine tune your position.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

don't own one but sure could have used one a few weeks ago. 105' , 2.5 knots of drift, 20 oz not quite holding, did well on the fluke but could have done better. Did use 2 buckets tied off the mid ship cleat , got it down from 3 KTS +

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

1 hour ago, dena said:

Two anchors deployed in a V shape where the bottom of the V is your bow, and the arms of the V are your anchor lines is a better way of positioning the boat over structure.

Once set up, you can change the scope of the lines to fine tune your position.

I see Tog charters using that method a lot, it must be more efficient to stay over the piece than one anchor. 

As far as I am concerned, I have always been hesitant to use two anchors for some unknown reason.  I have never done it !!  I saw these guys on you tube Blackfishing in Ct. drop an anchor from the bow then back down towards a Breakwall, then they through a piece of wood attached to a line onto the rocks of the Breakwall and it wedges in. They tie it off to rear cleat and there in business.     After they are done they cut the line.  After a few weeks they go onto the rocks to clean up the wood.   Or at least that’s what they say.  Lol.  

You know what they say about common sense right...it ain't so common

2 hours ago, chris koltz said:

Find it a pain to use I only use it when it's a must to help control drift angle over isolated structure or to allow better presentation.

I never use it yet. It’s in the cabin. I will use it in a storm when motor dies.  If you use it for fishing and forget to bring it in, you will have a job cutting it. 

2 hours ago, puff tentacle said:

I see Tog charters using that method a lot, it must be more efficient to stay over the piece than one anchor. 

As far as I am concerned, I have always been hesitant to use two anchors for some unknown reason.  I have never done it !!  I saw these guys on you tube Blackfishing in Ct. drop an anchor from the bow then back down towards a Breakwall, then they through a piece of wood attached to a line onto the rocks of the Breakwall and it wedges in. They tie it off to rear cleat and there in business.     After they are done they cut the line.  After a few weeks they go onto the rocks to clean up the wood.   Or at least that’s what they say.  Lol.  

Two anchors eliminate the boat swing while on one anchor.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

3 hours ago, puff tentacle said:

that’s what we do when togging along a breakwater... if the wind is coming strait off the breakwall at slack tide or min x current, just the 2x4 line.