Wicked-Fly

Monomoy Shuttle

37 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Peter Patricelli said:

The above ad for "Captain Dave" is for Dave Ruddock, the long established guide out of Outermost harbor on the south shore and Monomoy rips.  We have used him with our group for > 8 years.  He does not, to my knowledge, "shuttle" people out and back. 

Correct.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of the guys in my group called Outermost harbor a week or two back and asked about a shuttle to Monomoy.  They were told that, yes, they (who exactly not specified but someone affiliated with Outermost harbor) would take them out and pick up later in day for $35, but they had to be able to wade on/off the boat to shore.

 

So.........yes..........apparently there is a shuttle operating.  Call Outermost harbor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Peter Patricelli said:

Two of the guys in my group called Outermost harbor a week or two back and asked about a shuttle to Monomoy.  They were told that, yes, they (who exactly not specified but someone affiliated with Outermost harbor) would take them out and pick up later in day for $35, but they had to be able to wade on/off the boat to shore.

 

So.........yes..........apparently there is a shuttle operating.  Call Outermost harbor.

Awesome thanks Peter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this is true but I had heard that in addition to the shuttle they also charged to park your car in the lot. I was wondering if that is true or not.

 

Any info on that would be appreciated, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about heading out Saturday. Never fished there before. Anything I need to know? Hate fishing spots like this for the first time by myself if anyone wants to join me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO that is a really, really difficult spot to fish "cold".  Monomoy is HUGE....11 miles long.  At low tide it is almost 2 miles wide from east to west water to water.  It changes so much every year that no one, especially this year, has much of a sense what is really in there as it is so difficult for boats to access much of it for fear of getting trapped by falling water.  Our fav guide is usually the Monomoy guru, runs his flats boat thru shallows like no one else within 1000 miles, admits this year he is still trying to work out even the basics......and hasn't yet.  And this year there are even more miles of dewatered flats.  In the old days when it was more user friendly, even going with a "walking guide" like Randy Jones who was out there every day, one ended up walking more than 3 miles (in a combination of shallow water and soft sand) making the CIRCUIT that hit the spots fishing well at each tide level and ending up back at the pickup point.

 

If you've got  a throwaway day and understand the risks, you might hit the jackpot.  But for me personally, and I fished out there a lot in years previously, I wouldn't right now as there are so many well known and better spots accessible from the mainland where we can split to plan B if the fish just aren't there.  I think the potential is for a very long day and a lot of soft sand miles hoping to blindly stumble on a good spot.  And I just 2 hours ago got off the west side at low tide with our guide, tons of fish in the troughs, but I could see it was a mile due east to N Monomoy island.  NO WAY you could walk there from a drop off point coming out of Outermost harbor.

 

Not trying to be a cold blanket but that's the way I see it this year with so many changes and so few people who have really worked out a workable path/cycle out there.  But for goodness sake, if anyone has, please jump in and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.....because that is true.....I DON"T know what's out there right now and that makes me suggest more known options.

 

My $.02.....worth about what you paid for it.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to fish Monomoy a lot back in the day when there were a number of shuttle runs made each morning and you could then schedule a pickup time in the afternoon, Those days are history but we went so often you had a good idea of what was there and where to go on various tides.

 

The only way I would even consider going there now with all the changes would be with an east wind and on a high tide dropping and then fish it down looking for cruising or breaking fish. 

 

The worst mistake you could make now would be to get there on a tide that was almost low and making a long trek to get to the water and try to fish the incoming and work your way back. That could be a disaster in the making. If you have to make the long trek over sand best to do it at the end of the day. Much safer that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was only going to do a half day, didn’t realize how big the place is I guess. Plus it looks like it might be cloudy and was hoping to sight fish. Will wait to go with a guide or at least someone who knows the fishery instead of solemnly wondering around on an island for 5 hours. I bet there’s some big fish out there right now though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"I bet there’s some big fish out there right now though. "

 

And, no doubt, lots of big-bosomed women nude sunbathing.

 

Ah......the drive of youthful imagination and fantasy

 

There are, without question.  But yesterday Steve Schullery and I had excellent fishing and two 30" plus fish landed and a third broken off on a short line strike.......INside Stage harbor.......at both high slack and low slack.

 

Gold is where you find it. 

Edited by Peter Patricelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahah well we all know that’s prime nude sunbathing sand out there. Nice work on the fish. Never fished the inside. Wonder if that shallow water on SE corner offers sight fishing opportunities. Might have to check that out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I used to fish Monomoy a lot back in the day when there were a number of shuttle runs made each morning and you could then schedule a pickup time in the afternoon, Those days are history but we went so often you had a good idea of what was there and where to go on various tides.

 

The days of the Southway were great, for fishing and navigability. I had a shallow-draft Aquasport at the time, that'd run in not much more water than a flats boat needed. Coming out of Stage, I could fish the west side, but more frequently I'd run down the Southway and either head south to the Point, or fish off South Beach.

 

Here's a great series of photos showing the changes from the early 80's through 2017.

 

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/WorldOfChange/cape_cod.php?all=y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, patchyfog said:

The days of the Southway were great, for fishing and navigability. I had a shallow-draft Aquasport at the time, that'd run in not much more water than a flats boat needed. Coming out of Stage, I could fish the west side, but more frequently I'd run down the Southway and either head south to the Point, or fish off South Beach.

 

Here's a great series of photos showing the changes from the early 80's through 2017.

 

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/WorldOfChange/cape_cod.php?all=y

this is awesome thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.