Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 on the ocean

This has to be one of the funniest threads I've seen in a while. Yes,absolutely, the PA series is the ultimate for surf launches. If you get one, let me know in advance when and where you will launch it, so I can get a good seat.  

The east coast means sandy trough-and-bar beaches and they are often replenished and steep.. You are typically dealing with a shore break, certainly on higher tides. Days when the surf is less than 3 feet are rare. I would not even consider wave heights less than 3 feet as "surf". Wading out to knee deep so you can install the drive is not gonna happen, at least not very often. What you need to do most days is run into the water when you see a gap and go like hell. And forget "timing the sets". That's a myth.

The heavier the kayak, the more difficult it is to handle. I'd say the Outback is about as much as a strong guy can mess with.  

Put that all together, and the worst - and I mean the worst - choice for our normal conditions is a PA kayak. Or limit yourself to flat calm days, and use whatever you want. 

3 hours ago, computeruser said:

Agree with that assessment...I do Long Inland Sound with  Raritan Bay....have had it for almost 5 years with more that 120 trips... do not really have a need to go out front at all because I find enough fishing in calmer bays...as far as flipping goes I had no issue righting it up in deep water...that was not the issue ...I was more upset with the stuff I lost and it was all due to my stupid mistake by leaning  over the side with a fish in my hand so that the  blood would not drip on my kayak...I was lucky that it was a middle of the summer with the water temps in mid 70ies...

The more you read the more you learn where the majority of Pro Angler owners are using their rides. This now comes from two Pro Angler users here and they prefer to fish out it in calmer water.  I can understand why the OP is confused because you get conflicting reports....I don't even call it conflicting anymore. You just have to see who these folks are who are giving this advice out and chances are they either sell Hobies or are tied to the manufacturer in some way. 

"do not really have a need to go out front at all because I find enough fishing in calmer bays"

17 mins ago, The Riddler said:

The more you read the more you learn where the majority of Pro Angler owners are using their rides. This now comes from two Pro Angler users here and they prefer to fish out it in calmer water.  I can understand why the OP is confused because you get conflicting reports....I don't even call it conflicting anymore. You just have to see who these folks are who are giving this advice out and chances are they either sell Hobies or are tied to the manufacturer in some way. 

"do not really have a need to go out front at all because I find enough fishing in calmer bays"

Do not really get your point...are you saying that I am selling Hobies and thus I am giving misleading advice to other people?...I have nothing to do with Hobie at all...I only own their kayak which I am happy with...and this was not really an advice...I merely stated my fishing habits...this comment was really without any merit.

2 mins ago, computeruser said:

Do not really get your point...are you saying that I am selling Hobies and thus I am giving misleading advice to other people?...I have nothing to do with Hobie at all...I only own their kayak which I am happy with...and this was not really an advice...I merely stated my fishing habits...this comment was really without any merit.

No. I know your not tied to the industry.  I was using your quote as a "Truth" on where Hobie Pro Angler users prefer or are using their platforms. There was no malice in what I wrote.

The Op said for the Indian river in Florida. I live right on the indian river in Florida. He also said he was considering calm ocean days. I also live on the ocean. When its calm in Florida it is very calm. Its literally "like a lake". Pro anglers are huge on the Indian River. They are probably the most prevalent Hobie we see on the river.

Im not answering the question for some Raritan or Jbay Op who is going out on a crazy NE wind. If that was the case I would have had a different answer. At least Kross read the Original Post an answered accordingly.

Edited by barrell
BARRELL

50 mins ago, barrell said:

The Op said for the Indian river in Florida. I live right on the indian river in Florida. He also said he was considering calm ocean days. I also live on the ocean. When its calm in Florida it is very calm. Its literally "like a lake". Pro anglers are huge on the Indian River. They are probably the most prevalent Hobie we see on the river.

Im not answering the question for some Raritan or Jbay Op who is going out on a crazy NE wind. If that was the case I would have had a different answer. At least Kross read the Original Post an answered accordingly.

I don't know if you missed this but he actually asked this question. I think it's safe to say conditions can change from flat calm to standard 2' chop or more especially from morning to afternoon in Florida....no?

What’s the verdict on this kayak in the ocean?

So your answering maybe? what if? Why dont you say that then. You are showing your lack of Florida knowledge. In the summer it can be so flat and shiny and that can last for a month. In the winter when the North east winds blow thay can pick up in the afternoon like you say. But it doesnt get the steep shore break type Jersey waves. There are reefs that extend out 300 yards. Its a easy foaming wave inside the reef. Me answering kayak questions on this forum is no different to you always answering plumbing questions on the do it yourself forum. And thats a good thing. No one knows more about plumbing then a PLUMBER.

BARRELL

It appears to me that Florida is very divided. North of Cape Canaveral the surf always seems bigger. The water is colder too, at least in winter. Even today there is a 2-foot difference in surf, north and south. Indian River is on the south side, correct? Should see smaller surf outside hurricane impacts. Personally, I would still go with a different boat for ocean use. 

Every kayak's utility depends on where and how you will use it. That probably explains all these varied opinions. 

Edited by kross57

18 mins ago, barrell said:

So your answering maybe? what if? Why dont you say that then. You are showing your lack of Florida knowledge. In the summer it can be so flat and shiny and that can last for a month. In the winter when the North east winds blow thay can pick up in the afternoon like you say. But it doesnt get the steep shore break type Jersey waves. There are reefs that extend out 300 yards. Its a easy foaming wave inside the reef. Me answering kayak questions on this forum is no different to you always answering plumbing questions on the do it yourself forum. And thats a good thing. No one knows more about plumbing then a PLUMBER.

I fished Florida over 2 dozen times 16 by kayak spending up to 2 weeks at longest. No I don't live there but I have plenty of knowledge on what happens when you are on the water there and yes you got me there, I have never fish Florida in the summer.

The op was asking about how the Pro Angler was in the Salt Water....not Florida Salt Water but Salt Water. Is that the best you got Barrel?  :laugh:

19 mins ago, kross57 said:

It appears to me that Florida is very divided. North of Cape Canaveral the surf always seems bigger. The water is colder too, at least in winter. Even today there is a 2-foot difference in surf, north and south. Indian River is on the south side, correct? Should see smaller surf outside hurricane impacts. Personally, I would still go with a different boat for ocean use. 

Every kayak's utility depends on where and how you will use it. That probably explains all these varied opinions. 

Its the Bahamas. The islands block most swells from Fort pierce all the way down through the keys. Yes Indian river extends from around Cocoa all the way down to Stewart. It is the best inshore fishing in all of Florida. Its what we call the bay up here but its not wide enough for any serious waves to build.

BARRELL

13 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I fished Florida over 2 dozen times 16 by kayak spending up to 2 weeks at longest. No I don't live there but I have plenty of knowledge on what happens when you are on the water there and yes you got me there, I have never fish Florida in the summer.

The op was asking about how the Pro Angler was in the Salt Water....not Florida Salt Water but Salt Water. Is that the best you got Barrel?  :laugh:

He is from Melbourne beach. He is asking about Florida not JBAY! So you avoided the other question. What is different about me answering kayak questions here and you answering plumbing questions on the "do it yourself" forum? I nor anybody else gets on you for doing that!

BARRELL

1 hour ago, barrell said:

He is from Melbourne beach. He is asking about Florida not JBAY! So you avoided the other question. What is different about me answering kayak questions here and you answering plumbing questions on the "do it yourself" forum? I nor anybody else gets on you for doing that!

I'm not avoiding any questions Barrel...you sell Hobie kayaks and you are Pro Hobie Kayaks, been that way for years out here....when you sold Cobra you were Pro Cobra.  No secret about any of this.

Chop and swells Barrel is chop in Swells around the world. You don't need to be exactly in the same spot to talk about it. The Pro Angler 14 is a big large volume kayak and it's a fact people have flipped that kayak in swells and chop and had a hard time getting back in.  Most that we see call for help or try to swim back to shore. This happens in every body of water. It doesn't make Florida more or less of a problem for a PA 14 in big seas.

When its flat sea it's flat calm seas.......it can stay that way for days too......but that's not a real condition for every day kayaking on open ocean and that is what I am addressing with the OP in the platform he is looking at.

Have a nice day Barrel. :shaky:

Quite the contrary Barrel. I probably spent more time in a Pro Angler 12 and Pro Angler 14 in Florida than  you have fishing kayaks in Florida!  Any other questions Barrel?  It's really not going anywhere.

It was 2011 on this forum I had to go out and buy a Hobie so I can talk about hobie......since I have experience in the PA 14...I can talk about that too now. Anything else? :wave:

Good advice. I’m going to rent the Pro angler 12, 14, and the outback over the next several weeks. 

On burning question I have after looking at YouTube videos is this:  do I have to wear a face mask and say sh1t like “watsap” and “yo dude” or can I, you know, put on sunscreen and talk like a normal person?