Sightflippin

Black hole striper 9’6” or east coast special 10’

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Sightflippin said:

Thanks for the reply. I live in west palm beach but I’m all over when I’m fishing and I’d be happy to take a reasonable ride to check them out. That’s my dilemma, the east coast specials are new and I haven’t seen much on them.

Frankly, I am surprised you choose 9'6" Black Hole Striper or 10' Black Hole East Coast Special as not many guys use Black Hole USA surf rods yet. :)  But you will not be disappointed whether you use the 9'6" rod or the 10' rod.

9 ft 2 striper with a 4500 slammer 3 is my jetty outfit. I have blues to 18 lbs on it, hundreds of Albies  and bass upto 38 lbs. Even  though I would count my fingers now after shaking Kilsongs hand , I still believe the rods are the best.

Its to bad he spit in my face, he would have had some amazing video of a Suzuki rod, 9 ft 2 striper and 10 ft 6 nano rod side by side for four hours straight on a 15 to 20 lb bluefish blitz. One rod was mine the other two I personally talked the guys into buying.

16 hours ago, ksong said:

Frankly, I am surprised you choose 9'6" Black Hole Striper or 10' Black Hole East Coast Special as not many guys use Black Hole USA surf rods yet. :)  But you will not be disappointed whether you use the 9'6" rod or the 10' rod.

Yea well I do my fair share of reading and looking around as best as I can. I’ve seen that it’s not the most common suggestion but have great things about these rods and I’m eager to try them out. Only wish there was more info on the special.

10 hours ago, reelfire said:

9 ft 2 striper with a 4500 slammer 3 is my jetty outfit. I have blues to 18 lbs on it, hundreds of Albies  and bass upto 38 lbs. Even  though I would count my fingers now after shaking Kilsongs hand , I still believe the rods are the best.

Its to bad he spit in my face, he would have had some amazing video of a Suzuki rod, 9 ft 2 striper and 10 ft 6 nano rod side by side for four hours straight on a 15 to 20 lb bluefish blitz. One rod was mine the other two I personally talked the guys into buying.

Thanks for the input, I’m kinda forced into looking towards the striper as that seems to be where everyone’s experiences lie and I’ve heard great things

7 hours ago, Sightflippin said:

Yea well I do my fair share of reading and looking around as best as I can. I’ve seen that it’s not the most common suggestion but have great things about these rods and I’m eager to try them out. Only wish there was more info on the special.

Thanks for the input, I’m kinda forced into looking towards the striper as that seems to be where everyone’s experiences lie and I’ve heard great things

You wont regret it. Rods amazing.

This is my second season on the 9'6 nano...I built it to use spinning and conventional and i've pretty much just left a lexa 400 on it.  Very versatile rod with stupid amounts of deceptive power..Loads very well and unloads as good.

On the water...casting, sensitivity, power, weight, ease of loading, I can't find anything wrong with it!!  Definitely recommend it!  

I really love it in current.  3kt current and fish to 30lbs....it's amazingly comfortable...

If i use a spinner i use a saltiga 4000 and 30lb braid....the lexa i think is spooled with 65lb braid

On 5/26/2018 at 5:10 PM, Sightflippin said:

I’m debating on a new surf jetty rod, and I believe I’ve narrowed in down to one of these two (the east coast 1-4oz). They seem to be very similar lure rating, action, price, weight so I’m looking for some experience or anything to shed some light. I’ll be doing my fishing in southeast Florida off jetties for a majority of its use. I’d mostly be throwing jigs, swimbaits, and plugs. Snook, tarpon, and redfish setup for when I need some more distance. Any first hand knowledge or experience on these two would be greatly appreciated.... 

On the sand i prefer longer lengths. But if you're on rocks/boulders the 9'6" is the longest i'll use. Try to bring in a fish while standing on a uneven surface that also might be slippery. Been there & done that. Most Shimano spinners are my personal choice due to their light weight. #30-#50 braid would be great. A lot of yardage when compared to mono. Good luck!

I don't see any problem to land snook or drum with both rods. But if you want to fight big 100 plus lb tarpon, I suggest to go with 9'6" Black Hole Striper 2 oz - 5 oz rod. If you choose 10' Black Hole East Coast Special 2 - 6 oz, I would say the rod is good for big tarpon,, but you want 3/4 oz - 4 oz East Coast Special. I think the tip of the rod is too light for big tarpon. 

ksong, is the Striper 96 rated for 2-5 oz or 1-5 oz?  On your website, jignpop, and wherever else I have been able to find the blank for sale, it is listed as 1-5.  When I look at pictures of the blank, and from what you are saying here, it sounds like it may actually be rated 2-5...  Would you please clarify?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Tarponian said:

ksong, is the Striper 96 rated for 2-5 oz or 1-5 oz?  On your website, jignpop, and wherever else I have been able to find the blank for sale, it is listed as 1-5.  When I look at pictures of the blank, and from what you are saying here, it sounds like it may actually be rated 2-5...  Would you please clarify?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 5 oz rating is adequate for the rod. 

On 5/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, drc said:

Sold my gosa and went with a spheros. I have 2 6k's on rods of 9'6" and 10'6". Get great distance with 30# braid.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, Lou T said:

9’6”  stripper ...:naughty:

For the guys with the 9’6” striper, everyone seems to love it. It’s listed a 1-5, ksong says 1-5, the blank says 2-5 as just mentioned. Ratings aside, what range do you feel you can throw comfortably with maximum distance? Can you really go from a 1oz BT to a 4-5 oz plug with good results

On 6/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, Sightflippin said:

For the guys with the 9’6” striper, everyone seems to love it. It’s listed a 1-5, ksong says 1-5, the blank says 2-5 as just mentioned. Ratings aside, what range do you feel you can throw comfortably with maximum distance? Can you really go from a 1oz BT to a 4-5 oz plug with good results

yes you can, the lure rating on these rods are spot on....

On 5/28/2018 at 0:40 AM, reelfire said:

How does the 9 ft 2 striper handle 3 oz plugs? Trying to choose between the 9’ 2”, 9’ 6” and east coast surf.  I’d be throwing mostly 1.5-2.5. But do need to throw 3 somewhat regularly.

9 mins ago, Mvstripers said:

How does the 9 ft 2 striper handle 3 oz plugs? Trying to choose between the 9’ 2”, 9’ 6” and east coast surf.  I’d be throwing mostly 1.5-2.5. But do need to throw 3 somewhat regularly.

I think it can handle it but I throw mostly 2 to 2.5 oz with it.  Thats the sweetspot

11 mins ago, Mvstripers said:

I have a custom built 9'2, biggest plug I've fished with it is 2.5oz which isn't a problem and I've thrown jigs up to 4oz without concern, even used it to throw a 5oz lead and small bait. 1.5-2.5 is the optimal throwing weight imo