Manna Fish Farm Stuck On Sandbar Near Entrance To Shinnecock Canal

Rate this topic

I found this pretty interesting.

"The bright yellow Manna Fish Farms feeder buoy attempted to make its way from the Shinnecock Canal to the Shinnecock Inlet on Tuesday morning when it got stuck on a sandbar just south of Prime Marina Southampton.

The 60-ton buoy, owned by Donna Lanzetta, CEO and owner of Manna Fish Farms Inc., will be part of the first open-sea fish farm—it can hold up to 20 tons of food—on the East End. The plan is to outfit it with a dozen 70-foot-wide cages, called “Sea Station Cages,” which would be submerged some 60 feet below the surface to house an assortment of different fish species, though only one species at a time, that Ms. Lanzetta’s company would farm."

0097.jpg

Former LIBBA #1818

10 hours ago, Leatherface said:

......I should be getting my Southold sticker soon as well.

Any chance you may have one extra of those??

LOL

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

I hope that that whole project sinks to the bottom.

The brain trust that is out local commercial fishing community are wetting their panties over the proposed wind farm but gave little pushback on this pending disaster.  If these clowns can actually get this “farm” up and running say hello to $0.50/ pound for striped bass.  Could also destroy the wild striped bass population, no big deal.

Edited by Cpalms

He's got a point on this one.

Down in the Gulf of Mexico, the commercials are suing NMFS over issuance of a permit for an open-water fish farm.  They know that if such farming takes off, it's going to undercut the price of commercially-caught fish, and possibly make commercial fishing economically untenable.  The recreational organizations are getting on the fish-farming bandwagon down there for just that reason.  To the extent that farmed fish take over the market, they hope to be able to see a reallocation of at least some commercial quota to them.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I've heard these fish farms (fresh water fish, at least) are mega polluters, filling the water with antibiotics and who knows what else. Has anyone figured out what kind of effect this will have on wild fish populations? I won't eat farmed fish because of the contamination from junk used to keep the fish alive in a cramped, unnatural environment. 

Not a fan of the fish farm concept, especially where this rocket scientist would like to site it, ( 7 miles off of Shinnecock) neither do I feel that this small scale operation will flood the market and knock the price of wild caught fish down. They want to farm some west coast salmon, disaster in the making, and stripers , that comes with a host of issues. In order to land fish for sale in NY you need a NYSDEC issued food fish license, moratorium on those, no bass may be harvested form the EEZ, oops, 7 miles in in the Zone, in order commercially harvest you need to have an established history of selling bass , oops the cut off date for that was in the 90's and it's CLOSED FISHERY. As I said this is a freaking joke.

Edited by pakalolo

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

10 hours ago, Leatherface said:

Not a chance! :laugh:

I knew the answer even before you response but had to ask.

LOL

:howdy:

Like my late grandfather said :

"If you do not ask, chances to get are almost zero"

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

The interesting thing is that there is a real question about whether the federal government has the authority to allow/issue permits for/regulate fish farms in federal waters.

The permit that I'm most familiar with, issued for an open-water farm in the Gulf of Mexico, was purportedly issued under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act.  However, Magnuson-Stevens governs fishing, not farming, and the definition of "fishing" contained in the MSA does not seem to apply to aquaculture.  That's the basis for the lawsuit I mentioned in my previouys post.

The fact that Congress has attempted, but failed, to pass an aquaculture bill on a number of occasions (there's another one pending now) is further support for the proposition that Congress did not intend fish farms to be governed by MSA.

So in addition to all of the other questions that might be raised by fish farming is the question of whether a fish farm can be legally sited in federal waters at all.  Right now, that question has no definitive answer.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams