olvart

Daiwa Back Bay rods and reels

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

OK shipwreck and scoob.

Are the Daiwa Backbay rods out yet? Prices?

Any weight specs available?

How does the Saltist 3K differ from the Saltist Backbay?

I would have asked this in the Icast thread but am tired of darsizzle talk.:rav:

Thanks for the pm shipwreck.

Diawa is hitting my sweet spot right now.

I own 3 BG’s and 1 Tatula.

1  coastal surf 9’,and 1 older 7’ mh I like very much.

I guess I am a Daiwa fanboy right now.

Keep up the good work.

Still would like to know the difference between the Backbay and standard Saltist spinners.

20 hours ago, Bfishes333 said:

This may help

Thanks. 

So the Saltist spinner is a BG with seals and some magseal

Same gears as the BG.

My BG gears are excellent ,by the way,especially for the price.

The Backbay has the sealing with aluminum gears.

I assume the Backbay has the oversized gears of the BG?

Even though it has a smaller body?

Any other differences?

The specs on the Backbay rods are right in my wheelhouse,can’t wait to see them.

Smoother, lighter gears...I think 1 less mag sealed bearing than the Saltist. A teardown here of the backbay. I thought he was a mod here or perhaps another site.

Thanks,I guess I missed that one or maybe saw it back in February when I wasn’t paying attention,so much,to this reel.:howdy:

I love scoobs reviews but,jeez,some are an hour long.....

Still,worth grinding through....

Hell of a smallie by the way scoob!

Tropical storm headed this way,here we go again.

What is the cheapest reel by Daiwa that is sealed and can be fished in surf? I'm not thinking about being submerged but subjected to constant sandy splashes?

2 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

What is the cheapest reel by Daiwa that is sealed and can be fished in surf? I'm not thinking about being submerged but subjected to constant sandy splashes?

I mean...the fuego is sealed the same as the Ballistic....which means a light seal at the handle shaft (not the axle ahead of the frame bearing).  And mag seal at the ar clutch.

But I wouldn't say it's something that woulld play well with sand.

And it's water resistant at best

North of that you have the certate HD which is sealed with mag seal....which works...but mag sealed bearings probably aren't something you want to include in your routine maintenance.  Gotta use other magnets to pop the magnetic rings out....purge the ferrofluid...then lube the bearing.  replace the mags and add new ferrofluid.  Takes about 20 mins per bearing  (( i think the certate has those))

I don't mind dealing with working it.  I enjoy doing it with my saltiga.  But it's a chore.  It would be awesome if daiaw took a look at the slammer and saragosa and went after that design.  

2 hours ago, olvart said:

Thanks,I guess I missed that one or maybe saw it back in February when I wasn’t paying attention,so much,to this reel.:howdy:

I love scoobs reviews but,jeez,some are an hour long.....

Still,worth grinding through....

Hell of a smallie by the way scoob!

Tropical storm headed this way,here we go again.

LOL.....it's the comparison and the discussion of how the marketed features translate or don't to the angler that really takes up the time.....Dude I've tried everything to condense some of the comparisons.  From talking faster to even speeding up the playback in the edit...honestly all the comparisons can be viewed at 1.5 or 2x speed on youtube and they are just as clear.   I recommend that  :)

Thanks man!  That was a true NJ tanker.   I don't know of any that big caught out of a river in nj.....I know of two larger in a lake....but I caught those  (I caught 2 and a friend caught 1 same day...absolutely retarted how that day shaped up....3 record class fish and I mean easy record smashers.....First two fish of the day were 7lb largemouths which is a giant in nj...23 and silly fat...the smallmouths were bigger which sounds stupid to even say publicly.   LOL   and don't have any pics just of one of the largemouth.   

Unfortunately I can't get there anymore....it's overgrown and the last time I went I got bit by too many spiders  (had to crawl over log piles to get and toss my float tube then climb down....not fun...and I hate spiders....maybe this year with some of the flooding it'll be different.....)

Posted (edited) · Report post

We're about at the right time of year for New York City sewer alligators to move out of their winter quarters, in sewers, and look for nest sites. Furthermore, the American crocodile (yes, there is such a thing) is expanding northwards, with global warming, and contests for egg laying sites have been reported in the southern half of New Jersey. There's more there then spider bites to worry about.  So everyone watch your ass.

Edited by BrianBM

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

LOL.....it's the comparison and the discussion of how the marketed features translate or don't to the angler that really takes up the time.....Dude I've tried everything to condense some of the comparisons.  From talking faster to even speeding up the playback in the edit...honestly all the comparisons can be viewed at 1.5 or 2x speed on youtube and they are just as clear.   I recommend that  :)

Thanks man!  That was a true NJ tanker.   I don't know of any that big caught out of a river in nj.....I know of two larger in a lake....but I caught those  (I caught 2 and a friend caught 1 same day...absolutely retarted how that day shaped up....3 record class fish and I mean easy record smashers.....First two fish of the day were 7lb largemouths which is a giant in nj...23 and silly fat...the smallmouths were bigger which sounds stupid to even say publicly.   LOL   and don't have any pics just of one of the largemouth.   

Unfortunately I can't get there anymore....it's overgrown and the last time I went I got bit by too many spiders  (had to crawl over log piles to get and toss my float tube then climb down....not fun...and I hate spiders....maybe this year with some of the flooding it'll be different.....)

Scoob,I know your a big fan of DR. AvE....

Somehow,he puts a huge amount of info in to a condensed vijeo.

Keep your dick in a vise.......

Edited by olvart

15 hours ago, BrianBM said:

We're about at the right time of year for New York City sewer alligators to move out of their winter quarters, in sewers, and look for nest sites. Furthermore, the American crocodile (yes, there is such a thing) is expanding northwards, with global warming, and contests for egg laying sites have been reported in the southern half of New Jersey. There's more there then spider bites to worry about.  So everyone watch your ass.

Sounds like a script for what could be an epic b movie lolol

15 hours ago, olvart said:

Scoob,I know your a big fan of DR. AvE....

Somehow,he puts a huge amount of info in to a condensed vijeo.

Keep your dick in a vise.......

Yeah...he's condensed them down it seems.  Some used to run long but now they are pretty short.

But he doesn't go down the rabbit hole of use and often doesnt compare.  But yeah  I get it.  Trust me shortening the the run time would shorten the time it takes to put them together.

which would mean even more time spent on each reel.

I don't mind the length of the videos. Using a time stamp table of contents or splitting the videos into parts might help. I have learned a lot and I think he is one of the few out there that know what he is talking about listening to his reasons and thought process. Of course, everyone has their own opinions. I would say "smoothness" of reels is so subjective. Is it the amount of pressure needed to turn a handle, vibration during a turn? I have counted how many times a handle will spin on all my reels with a hard push. I am not sure if that tells me if one reel is smoother than another.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, scoobydoo said:

Yeah...he's condensed them down it seems.  Some used to run long but now they are pretty short.

But he doesn't go down the rabbit hole of use and often doesnt compare.  But yeah  I get it.  Trust me shortening the the run time would shorten the time it takes to put them together.

which would mean even more time spent on each reel.

Scoob,you and Alan Hawk are my go to reel gurus.

Alan breaks down a reel and compares it to similar models.

You do too,except you tend to do multiple reel comparisons in a single review.

Alan takes several months to post a review,always worth waiting for.

So, I kinda understand the effort you put into it.

He is more of a Pelagic guy,8-12K reels.

I like that you do the smaller inshore/ freshwater reels.

Anyway,thankyou for your efforts.

Leaving tomorrow for a month long fishing trip up north for Brookies,Lake Trout and Salmon. Can you say Lake Nipigon,Lake Superior :howdy: