albacized

Still no New England bluefish?

145 posts in this topic

The small blues recently showed up in the E part of the Sound. Massive numbers of terms working from Hardings to Harwich. They're mostly sticking a couple hundred yards out, but smaller groups of fish get in range occasionally.

I'm happy to see so many small fish around. When's the last time you recall numbers like this year?

Posted (edited)

I got a couple of small blues, 3-4lbs, and a small fluke last night while targeting blues on a Nantucket Sound facing beach.  It wasn't my preferred tide but I worked it hard and was able to avoid a skunking. Got one blue and the fluke on a kastmaster. The 2nd blue came on an SP as darkness set in.

Edited by zak-striper

I'm still waiting for my first blue of '18.  Just a couple to smoke and I'll be a happy guy. No signs of snappers this year either so it might be lean for a couple years.

54 mins ago, bob_G said:

No signs of snappers this year

How big are snappers? I've seen a lot of these this season.

20180621_204443.jpg.9ee3ec97a59e1e108157656a2d67e5b6.jpg

I launched my kayak in upper Buzzards Bay yesterday, looking for funnies, didn't find any. I was surrounded by small blues in the 24" variety for at least 5 hours, could catch as many as you could stand.  I kept 2.

bluefish  9.3.18 001.JPG

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm still waiting for my first blue of '18.  Just a couple to smoke and I'll be a happy guy. No signs of snappers this year either so it might be lean for a couple years.

Snappers are a thick as locusts down my way in mid long island sound CT side.

but I share your sentiment about having a few harbors for the smoker.

We got zippo for bigger blues down here.

Massive schools of blues seen in Buzz Bay this past weekend. Was quite rough out Monday AM, but that's when it was on fire, thousands of birds and bait.

All about the same size blues, 16-18", just enough to make a meal out of, these are heading for the smoker!

Hogy Epoxy jig in 'Crack' was the ticket during the overcast.

Blues1.jpg

Blues2.jpg

crack.jpg

Buzzards Bay is filthy with those little blues.  I was looking for funnies and chasing bird yesterday afternoon and caught more than I could count.  After a while I stopped chasing the birds and as long as I was with in a few hundred yards of the surface action I was getting bit on almost every cast.  They were puking up peanut bunker and had no problem eating any color Hogy epoxy or SI jig that I tossed.  I am pretty sure they would eat anything that was in that size range and flashed.

sam

Got a cocktail blue in Montauk on a bucktail with bass assasin trailer.  Not a gator but small and tasty enough to become a fish taco.

Went out of Sauqatucket (Harwichport) this morning and there are schools of bluefish all over. Some of them good size (6lbs). What a blast with a flyrod.

6 hours ago, ken r said:

Went out of Sauqatucket (Harwichport) this morning and there are schools of bluefish all over. Some of them good size (6lbs). What a blast with a flyrod.

I'll be in Harwich Port Tomorrow Evening.  I'll be focusing in the beatches between Sauqatucket and the south facing beaches  east to Hardings Beach and Stage Harbor.

Just outside Saquatucket is where we found a school of choppers last Thursday.     They were on the move though coralling a big bait ball of peanuts it looked like.