jackson515

Duck Memorial Day Weekend

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am going down to Duck this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I was here last year and the fishing wasn't very good. I hit both the surf and sound very hard with little to show. I would like to do better this year. Doing research, I found that it seems like the sound is largely freshwater up here. Basically, if anyone has any advice, please share!

Thanks!

This may or may not help but...

1. Try and fish where there are not people - sounds simple but people in the water will drive away fish.

2. Look for some type of structure. There are some great threads on here about reading the water. They will help you target better areas.

3. Rip tides fit both the above criteria - if you can find one fish it. Don't go out in it to fish it but from the shore fish to the sides of it.

4. You will have more success at predawn and at dusk. Just before first light is a great uncrowded time to fish.

5. Use the current, wind and tide to your advantage. Know the tide changes and use low tide to find some of the structure mentioned above lips, troughs, holes, etc... Cast up current especially if using lures. Few baitfish swim against the current.

6. The following Tuesday will be a full moon. That means one of the biggest crab sheds of the year. If there are crabs near where you are staying there is a really good chance that larger fish will be trying to feed on them closer to the full moon.

I don't know if any of that helps but I hope so.

I was down there two weeks ago - we stayed north of Duck.  Had good luck catching bluefish and sea mullet (aka kingfish or whiting) from the surf using shrimp or Fishbites EZ-Fleas.  Also caught lots of sea mullet (they are excellent to eat BTW) from the Avalon Pier.

The traffic in through that area (road traffic) on Mem weekend is horrific.......stay on land (of course can't catch on roads anyway).

Water temps will be cold most likely up there 58-60°... look for some structure..You might get some sea mullet. A two hook bottom rig and fresh shrimp. I'd also look for some sand fleas in the wash and use them also. Blues maybe on cut bait. Not much more than that will be around there. Remember you will need an NC Saltwater License to fish the beach. 

Beginning Saturday you will have to buy a pass to be able to PARK on the beach north of where the road stops in Corolla, Unless your rental has passes included.

Brought to you by the Brilliant Currituck County Commissoners hoping to alleviate the beach traffic! Not Gonna Happen!!!

Thanks guys! All very helpful! Any chance that there will be anything other than whiting and blues? I'm looking for something new. Even dogfish, skates/rays, and sharks are game.

You never know what is in the surf - but if you are targeting dogfish, rays, and sharks then rig accordingly. Chunks of fresh bait or whole small fish will probably produce better for you than shrimp or sand fleas (which are great for pompano, flounder and smaller surf fish) but don't expect to pull in a shark with a flounder rig. Not saying it doesn't happen but your chances are not that good. Tight lines...

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, jackson515 said:

I'm looking for something new. Even dogfish, skates/rays, and sharks are game.

Absolutley a chunk of bunker or mullet on the bottom 

i will be on the end end of Jennettes waiting on a Cobia 

Edited by DaBig2na

I fished last Tuesday afternoon at Coquina Beach - had no trouble pulling in seaweed and rays on cut mullet.  Got my mullet at TW's at MP 10-1/2.  Fished much further south last night at the Oceanana Pier at Atlantic Beach - plenty of small sharks and big rays on shrimp.  I've got to ride down to Southern Shores this coming Tuesday morning to look at a house - going to take my surf rod and see what happens on the beach during the afternoon.  OH

Sorry Jackson didnt realize you were under 15 posts so you do not yet have PM privileges yet.  Until then I would say to stop in TW's bait n tackle.  Those guys get me going in the right direction immediately and I was on fish.

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Sorry Jackson didnt realize you were under 15 posts so you do not yet have PM privileges yet.  Until then I would say to stop in TW's bait n tackle.  Those guys get me going in the right direction immediately and I was on fish.

this is number 15, so you can pm if you still want to

16 hours ago, hhager23 said:

You never know what is in the surf - but if you are targeting dogfish, rays, and sharks then rig accordingly. Chunks of fresh bait or whole small fish will probably produce better for you than shrimp or sand fleas (which are great for pompano, flounder and smaller surf fish) but don't expect to pull in a shark with a flounder rig. Not saying it doesn't happen but your chances are not that good. Tight lines...

15 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

Absolutley a chunk of bunker or mullet on the bottom 

i will be on the end end of Jennettes waiting on a Cobia 

3 hours ago, Old Hunter said:

I fished last Tuesday afternoon at Coquina Beach - had no trouble pulling in seaweed and rays on cut mullet.  Got my mullet at TW's at MP 10-1/2.  Fished much further south last night at the Oceanana Pier at Atlantic Beach - plenty of small sharks and big rays on shrimp.  I've got to ride down to Southern Shores this coming Tuesday morning to look at a house - going to take my surf rod and see what happens on the beach during the afternoon.  OH

I think the main reason I did not get any shark from the surf last time is I mainly fished shrimp and lures. I tried cutbait in the sound, but it was shallow and pretty much trash. I definitely plan on getting some cut bait and chunking in the trough.

Also would there be a good chance for puppy red or black drum or spotted trout? I've been dying to get on em for awhile now.

Here is TW's fishing report from yesterday (5/23) right off their website.  They post most everyday - good as any source of info without being on the beach yourself.  Good luck to you this weekend.  OH

In Summary:

Surf Fishing Report:
Sea Mullet and Croakers scattered. Joe White caught a large Bluefish at ramp 4 this morning.

Sound Fishing Report:
The Little Bridge on the Nags Head/Manteo causeway reported big Spot again, Trout and Stripers.

Pier Fishing Report:
Avalon: Sea Mullet.
Nags Head: A good day, 2 lb Bluefish, buckets of Sea Mullet and a few Spot.
Jennette’s: Sea Mullet, Spot and Sand Perch.
Outer Banks: Plenty Sea Mullet and nice Bluefish.

Inshore Boats/nearshore Report:
Nearshore anglers are catching Spanish, Bluefish and Bonita. Inshore and Nearshore had another killer day catching Cobia.

Offshore Boats Report:
Bigeye catches has been awesome this week with many citations. Plenty of Yellowfin and Mahi also caught.

The winds are SW at 15 and the water temp is 62 degrees. Sunny, flat Ocean, breezy.