moronsaxatilis

Trout Fishing Alaska Parks Highway

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My son and I are going to Alaska for 4th time this August.  I have tried North of Anchorage (Willow to Denali) with little success for trout, opposed to ridiculously great trout fishing on the Kenai Peninsula.  We are staying 4-5 days in Talkeetna before heading south mid-August.  Does anyone have any insights to this area mid August?  Any help would be appreciated.    

Thanks,

Brian

If you want to something your son will like, ride the zip lines there.

3 hours without your feet touching the ground.

My wife and I did it last August and had a great time.

(it is right in Talkeetna)

I will definitely look into that if budget permits.  We are doing an AirBnB in Talkeetna.  Must be stunning scenery on a clear day especially.  Thanks.  

I can't speak from experience, Alaska is on the bucket list. But read that Togiak National WLR has Leopard Strain of Rainbows that are big, aggressive and will eat mice patterns and also flesh flies, as they are know to gorge on the stringy flesh of dead salmon. If your heading south, might be on the way and worth a look August is supposed to be the best time for them. Hope this helps. My plan is when my son is old enough, we are going...one day. 

Thanks.  This will be our 4th trip.  I looked in to a local vacation like smallmouth fishing in Maine or the Cape.  Alaska was cheaper per day.  I paid under $400 for plane tix to anchorage.  In the past I rented RV's for maybe $150/night.  Hit a Fred Myers and go.  No restaurants, guides...  Brought all equipment and terminal tackle.  Stopped locally to get the hot beads and maybe a hat.  This year I booked airbnb's and am renting a car.  The car rental prices are great if you wait until just prior to arriving.  The trout fishing on the Kenai peninsula is fantastic.  Salmon are the major draw and trout go unmolested and get brazen even.  They are so accustomed to being constantly harassed by the salmon you can throw a rock at a fish and it will just return to the same spot very quickly.   I time my arrival with the closure of the Sockeye season around the 3rd week in August.  I put a youtube video up from August 2016 with my then 11/12 year old son.  It's called 'too much trout'. 

I still haven't made a video from last year's trip.  I am stubborn and have to find fishing up north, completely different environment from the rainforest-like Kenai peninsula.

7 hours ago, moocks said:

How you doing Steve ?  It's just East coasters showing  the fish how to survive in low water conditions. lol

All's good in the Greatland !! It just bugs me to see folks beat up those fish ! not many world class fisheries that a guy can drive to, though most of his video is on what looks like the Russian river to me then some kenai footage towards the end. That river is getting loved to death, guys fish it year round, it shows on lots of the fish having lips missing and eyes out.