How necessary is a VHF for back bays?

11 hours ago, BillZ said:

I know alot of guys listen to music on their kayak,  not shooting anyone down over it but that's something i never felt comfortable with on the water......

Could be that it comes from doing alot of night fishing, i honestly don't really know but i just got so use to fishing in the dark &  hearing is one of the senses that gets augmented the most..... when i can't hear what's going on i feel awkward, almost blind i might say 

I definitely want to hear everything going on around me at all times....

Thats a good point because your balance depends on your hearing.

BARRELL

When I picked VHF I decided to go with floating model, the one that supports MMSI (could be registered with CG - http://www.usps.org/php/mmsi_new/).  An additional bonus was it has BT and would work as a speakerphone for your cell phone (no need to take it out). I also picked white colored device so it could be more visible. 

I'm also planning to put my emergency contact number on it with perm. marker. 

I would buy middle of the road radio backed by a manufacturer warranty or in store swap.  I would not buy any model that has a blinking light or any light when it becomes wet.  Battery will die quick.

$60 is nothing for additional piece of mind. That said, I usually bring my handheld, but never use it. It does tend to die quick which doesn't help. It's like buying insurance or owning a generator, you will never need it unless you don't have it. I keep my handheld off - I can't stand white noise or other chatter (or music) on the water. To each his own, I like to kayak fish because it's quiet - just me and the saltwater (and hopefully the fish).

I think a GPS on the FF unit (for unexpected fog) and a small USB power bank (for dying phone) are equally worthwhile investments.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 0:18 PM, Bulldog said:

If you are in trouble and call for help, the boats in and around there are supposed to monitor channel 16, if half of them are they will possibly respond a lot quicker then calling the coast guard, who will also get your VHF signal. If I was going to go in the drink and had to choose , I would always grab the VHF first. I have a whistle, knife, VHF small light and cell phone on my life jacket I wear all the time.....Jack

PS : get the highest wattage VHF you can afford makes a difference.

If this is the concern, I would much rather have a Personal Locator Beacon.  Handhold VHF's are notoriously short range and prone to battery issues (not to mention likely buried in your junk and hard to retrieve if you flip over in your kayak)  If you have a  PLB, a call for help that will be received is virtually guaranteed.  Many of the serious kayakers I know don't go anywhere without a PLB in their pocket.

if it were me, I would rather have a cellphone in a waterproof bag and PLB than a VHF.

7 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

I also picked white colored device so it could be more visible. 

Nice. I can't figure why all these things are black rather than yellow or orange. I put yellow tape on my antenna. I bought one last year, and I never turn it on even though I know by regs I'm supposed to if I have it. I figure those regs are for powerboaters with their radios not running on short lived batteries and who are capable of getting to a scene and rendering assistance far more effectively than a kayak.

10 hours ago, drmevo said:

Sounds like the consensus is that it's better to have one and not need it then need it and not have it. Any model suggestions? I searched but didn't find many recent threads. I saw the $60 Cobra, but it looks like a lot of people complain that it isn't really waterproof? 

It’s not! StandardHorizon, 2nd/3rd above entry level

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

In a pinch an old unconnected cell phone can work as a watch, camera, map(pictures) and contact device. Keep it in a dry case and dial 911 if assistence is necessary. However It wont contact nearby boaters.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

On 5/21/2018 at 9:57 AM, oceanAddict said:

When I picked VHF I decided to go with floating model, the one that supports MMSI (could be registered with CG - http://www.usps.org/php/mmsi_new/).  An additional bonus was it has BT and would work as a speakerphone for your cell phone (no need to take it out). I also picked white colored device so it could be more visible. 

I'm also planning to put my emergency contact number on it with perm. marker. 

You bring up an interesting point with the MMSI feature.  Maritime Mobile Service Identity.

It's a feature on most new VHF radios with GPS,  and you sign up through several organizations, get a unique ID number, that is in a database with your name, vessel registration, contact info, etc.

This number get's entered into your VHF.

The first feature that stands out is that you have a red mayday button.

If you can't verbally communicate...you're entering hypothermia or are severely injured, you push the red button.  A signal is broadcast, monitored by coast guard, and the signal includes your location and your identity and vessel description, etc.  It's a pretty valuable feature but you NEED to have a vessel registration number to obtain the MMSI.

Since kayaks do not require registration if they are not motor powered you don't have a registration and so cannot obtain an MMSI.  They are trying to get they system to accommodate solo workers such as divers who may not be associated with a vessel, but so far that has not happened as far as I know. 

I suppose you could go to your town, tell them the kayak has a small electric motor, they will then require a registration, you pay the yearly fee, and now you get to have an MMSI.  But what I didn't know initially is, that to prevent people from messing around with the system, the number is permanently entered into the radio,  So it will be identified with only that vessel and if you sell the radio, or want to change the number, it needs to go back to the factory to get set to factory defaults before a new number can be added.  And it's not cheap to do that. So essentially, if you have a $100 VHF handheld, you consider it a throwaway...at least regarding that feature.

The MMSI system also allows sophisticated calling between boats in a fleet, you have sort-of speed-dial to groups of vessels in your fleet if you want, and other stuff that we wouldn't use.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

3 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

You bring up an interesting point with the MMSI feature.  Maritime Mobile Service Identity.

It's a feature on most new VHF radios with GPS,  and you sign up through several organizations, get a unique ID number, that is in a database with your name, vessel registration, contact info, etc.

This number get's entered into your VHF.

The first feature that stands out is that you have a red mayday button.

If you can't verbally communicate...you're entering hypothermia or are severely injured, you push the red button.  A signal is broadcast, monitored by coast guard, and the signal includes your location and your identity and vessel description, etc.  It's a pretty valuable feature but you NEED to have a vessel registration number to obtain the MMSI.

Since kayaks do not require registration if they are not motor powered you don't have a registration and so cannot obtain an MMSI.  They are trying to get they system to accommodate solo workers such as divers who may not be associated with a vessel, but so far that has not happened as far as I know. 

I suppose you could go to your town, tell them the kayak has a small electric motor, they will then require a registration, you pay the yearly fee, and now you get to have an MMSI.  But what I didn't know initially is, that to prevent people from messing around with the system, the number is permanently entered into the radio,  So it will be identified with only that vessel and if you sell the radio, or want to change the number, it needs to go back to the factory to get set to factory defaults before a new number can be added.  And it's not cheap to do that. So essentially, if you have a $100 VHF handheld, you consider it a throwaway...at least regarding that feature.

The MMSI system also allows sophisticated calling between boats in a fleet, you have sort-of speed-dial to groups of vessels in your fleet if you want, and other stuff that we wouldn't use.

I have a submersible handheld:  Uniden MHS235.  Probably discontinued by now.  Has been pretty good.  Battery life has been VERY good and they have an accessory battery holder that uses AAA batteries so if the rechargeable Lithium battery bite is, you can always go get some standard batteries in a pinch.  the unit has a recharging base...you just plunk it down when you get home.  Also has a 12 volt plug so you can charge in car or boat.  Plenty loud.  You can set up scan however you want...monitor channel 16, 09, 22 and maybe 68, 69, 71, 72, and 78A depending on if you have one of these set up with your buddies.  Its also nice to have the NOAA weather ...the automated voice has become like a "dumb fishing fried" to me...sorta comforting when you are alone but not a good conversationalist.  I don't like having a cell phone on the water...way too easy to damage or lose...and they are not cheap or easy to just replace later since so much of my life is now on my cell phone.

3 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg