Delaware beaches really flat?

Rate this topic

17 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Am I crazy to think that I remember Fenwick having an outer bar and a more gradual slope (not the quick drop off/shore break most DE beaches have)?  I swear as a kid when my parents took us there it was much different.  This would have been the mid-nineties to mid 2000s.

nope i remember swimming out about 50 yards then standing in knee deep water

17 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Am I crazy to think that I remember Fenwick having an outer bar and a more gradual slope (not the quick drop off/shore break most DE beaches have)?  I swear as a kid when my parents took us there it was much different.  This would have been the mid-nineties to mid 2000s.

I clearly remember an outer bar on most beaches from  Southside IRI through Fenwick in the late 80's early 90's. My opinion is that beach replenishment has caused the current condition of those beaches.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, kurazy kracka said:

at least there are no fish in DE anyhow so structure doesn't matter.

RU being an undercover Spot Burn Police?  :)  BTW I liked the “Delaware Inlet” reference. Made me laugh.

Seriously this is an interesting post. Ocmd struggles in the same manner with limited structure and a steep tidal landing zone. The replenishment altered that slightly but one or two more storms and we will be back to crap. I assumed that it was due to heavy foot traffic during the summer but the spring theory is interesting. 

On 5/24/2018 at 7:12 PM, mrscott24 said:

RU being an undercover Spot Burn Police?  :)  BTW I liked the “Delaware Inlet” reference. Made me laugh.

Seriously this is an interesting post. Ocmd struggles in the same manner with limited structure and a steep tidal landing zone. The replenishment altered that slightly but one or two more storms and we will be back to crap. I assumed that it was due to heavy foot traffic during the summer but the spring theory is interesting. 

Ocean city looks good right now. 

Fenwick looked really good last year. Now it looks HORRIBLE! 

Delaware beaches are literally embarassing. How could they be ok with them like this. You got white, powdery almost sand near the dunes that slopes down, then brown, coarse dirty sand that has an upslope, that then quickly drops into the shore break.  It's ridiculous. What they should do is pump it then create a sand bar out there somehow to help with the waves. 

When theres storms those waves are huge. 

North side Indian river used to look so good. It's a damn shame. Damn shame. 

14 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Delaware beaches are literally embarassing. How could they be ok with them like this. You got white, powdery almost sand near the dunes that slopes down, then brown, coarse dirty sand that has an upslope, that then quickly drops into the shore break.  It's ridiculous. What they should do is pump it then create a sand bar out there somehow to help with the waves.

THEY SHOULD DO NOTHING. let mother nature rebuild herself, but they will have the army corps of engineers out there right in the middle of the tourist season. closing the beaches to pump sand so they have a beach for the tourist season.......kinda stupid if you ask me. 

Wait 2 years and repeat.........

I can remember long ago making comments about how poor the DE beaches were compared to the mid Jersey beaches for holding fish, bait, and structure and was near stoned in the public square. ;)

I think a lot of factors are involved some manmade and some natural ....... sadly though if one wants the best chance to get bit and live above the canal in DE:  Jersey is still the smarter 1.5 hour drive for a night of "feet in the sand fishing" especially if you don't use bait. It is what it is.....

Thanks for all the replies and inputs. I agree with everyone,  the replenishment needs to stop to some degree, I'm assuming it never will,  the towns need the tourists to come.  Until then,  no fish in Delaware. Next year,  Assateague OSV permit, no more Delaware "surf" tag.  

• 2 weeks later...

Within the state parks the only area that is artificially altered is the north side of the inlet.  However, there has not been enough sand on the south side to pump over the bridge except for a few short bursts in May, two days if I remember correctly.  The towns are a different story.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 9:30 PM, linesiderdemdnj said:

Ocean city looks good right now. 

Fenwick looked really good last year. Now it looks HORRIBLE! 

When theres storms those waves are huge. 

North side Indian river used to look so good. It's a damn shame. Damn shame. 

Those waves do get huge, launching a kayak on the DE beaches is tough on a calm day, nearly impossible when storms are going out at sea or after a storm comes through.

• 2 months later...

Not true Delaware holds big bass. The bass are smart enough not to bite what your using. You need to think it out- read the water. 

Not true Delaware holds big bass. The bass are smart enough not to bite what your using. You need to think it out- read the water. 

Conventional wisdom says that 10 percent of fishermen catch 90 percent of the fish. Most people assume that these elite 10 percenters enjoy so much success because of their superior angling skills, but that’s really only half the story. While knowing how to fish is certainly vital, it’s equally important to know where to fish in a given body of water. You can be a brilliant caster, know just what kind of flies to use, and be a master of the retrieve, but none of this makes a difference if the fish simply aren’t there. And to find the fish, you have to be able to read the water.

5 hours ago, Marty said:

Conventional wisdom says that 10 percent of fishermen catch 90 percent of the fish. Most people assume that these elite 10 percenters enjoy so much success because of their superior angling skills, but that’s really only half the story. While knowing how to fish is certainly vital, it’s equally important to know where to fish in a given body of water. You can be a brilliant caster, know just what kind of flies to use, and be a master of the retrieve, but none of this makes a difference if the fish simply aren’t there. And to find the fish, you have to be able to read the water.

Sarcasm owns you