JohnP

What are your Fly Fishing KPIs?

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

KPI stands for Key Performance Indicator, and it is a corporate ism. It’s meant to represent measurable and quantifiable indicators of performance or success. 

anyway....

do you have goals or do you just let whatever happens happen?

one of my KPIs is number of engine hours on the boat. The bare minimum is 100. Anything less is Failure with a capital F. 120-130 hours is a good range I shoot for. And to meet that goal I need to go out in good weather and bad, like clockwork. This has actually forced me to get better to the point that I could find fish under a wider range of wind and tide scenarios.

i don’t have a KPI on number of fish caught but I sorta do that I at least catch a fish. So it doesn’t matter if I catch 1 or 20. This means I’ll stay out longer until I catch a fish. 

Another KPI is to learn a new spot every year. Really learn it, not just visit it. Bare minimum is 1 but 2-3 preferable.

well that’s for starters. Do you have any KPIs?

Edited by JohnP

I think the only KPI that I rely on or think about is how many times I trusted my "Gut" on my fishing trips. Doing that usually decides on the fly and location that I use it in. 

It is also very important to use known resources like tides charts and weather and wind  forecasts. Best not to go out door knowing those three things to start.

I just let things happen and for some reason they don't happen enough.:banghd: Maybe I should set some goals.

John

KPI’s should only reside in the devious minds of HR directors , bloody Sales Managers and CEO’s.

They are totally incompatible  with anything connected to the ocean and nature.

One day you can throw off your corporate shroud burn your suit as you pass through the exit door for the last time raise both arms towards heaven and celebrate your freedom. 

Mike

38 mins ago, JoeSWFF said:

I just let things happen and for some reason they don't happen enough.:banghd: Maybe I should set some goals.

Yes I’m having an ongoing discussion with a guy who is trying to learn. We text each other. He wants to know where to go and what to do. And I say just go every day, just go and observe every day. I hate saying to think if it like a job, but you sorta have to invest the time with that mindset 

Just now, Mike Oliver said:

John

KPI’s should only reside in the devious minds of HR directors , bloody Sales Managers and CEO’s.

They are totally incompatible  with anything connected to the ocean and nature.

One day you can throw off your corporate shroud burn your suit as you pass through the exit door for the last time raise both arms towards heaven and celebrate your freedom. 

Mike

Oh Mike, I’m bad

i go, I log my trips. I record wind and tide and now even GPS. I record who else was fishing where. I used to write down the make and model and plate number of trucks that I frequently saw in certain parking lots. 

I would be lying if if I told you it didn’t help connect the dots 

I always say I am going to fish saltwater 100 days a year. Last year I was close. This year, maybe I will get there. But metrics aside, advice to your friend is just write everything down. Everything, even the small observations that may seem trivial at the time. 

Posted (edited)

That’s ok John. It ain’t KPI.

Maybe you can detect a certain hatred of most things corporate. I was held in its vice like grip for nigh on 35 years.

I don’t have a suit anymore. When my last pair of expensive shiny leather business shoes wear out they will never be replaced.

I always laugh when Anne asks me what are you taking for best when  I come over the Pond to fish with you guys. My new waders or wet suit of course.

That's what best is now and imitation Crocs and those shoes with no laces.

Impressed by your early hours John.

You coming anywhere near the Cape when I am out there. I will help launch your rather nice boat.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I live in a world of KPIs, as nauseating as I find them. Fishing is where I go to get away from that crap LOL! It's like the ubiquitous "Become the best version of you" that's all over the self branding world - my wife and I laugh and enjoy the fact that we love the mediocre versions of us :) Must be an old age thing. My only goal is to be on the water a couple hours a week and give thanks for that blessing, everything else is gravy.

I go with the flow. I'm at an age where trophies mean little and companionship means much. in forty years of striper fishing I "been there and done that" .

Don't get me wrong, I love catching fish , but the purpose of my fishing time now is to relax and let things come as they may.

KPIs ??? - Sorry John P, that term is nothing short of blasphemy on a fishing site.  Makes me cringe, I feel like I'm talking to a hospital partner who doesn't understand anything.  Let's keep  curse words off the forum!  :bonk::banghd:  :wee:

I just try to keep a record of fish caught when where how etc

12 mins ago, DrBob said:

KPIs ??? - Sorry John P, that term is nothing short of blasphemy on a fishing site.  Makes me cringe, I feel like I'm talking to a hospital partner who doesn't understand anything.  Let's keep  curse words off the forum!  :bonk::banghd:  :wee:

I just try to keep a record of fish caught when where how etc

Aw cmon

nobody wants a rather mediocre fishing rod that is rather slow and doesn’t shoot line particularly well 

and nobody wants to fish a spot that is low in oxygen or that hasn’t been particularly good of late

I made this travel list the other day with my wife of all the places I want to fish... it will take maybe 15 years to knock it out...if i do that is my KPI is fullfilled!

Bucket list travel / fish 44 places

Mexico;

Campeche- tarpon

Isla Holbox- tarpon

Yucatan / Punta Alan- permit / snook / bonefish

East cape –rooster / dorado / jack

Scorpion Atoll  - permit / bonefish

Belize;

Central and south - permit / snook / bonefish / tarpon

Costa Rica;

River and ocean- tarpon

Brazil;

Jungle Peacock bass

Columbia;

Jungle Peacock bass

Bolivia;

Golden dorado

Argentina;

Golden Dorado

Patagonia or other trout areas

Chile;

Patagonia or other trout areas

USA;

Florida Everglades –Tarpon

Florida Keys- Tarpon

Cape Cod- Striper

Rhode Island- Striper / albie

North Carolina- Albie / Reds

Texas- Reds

Washington / Oregon- Steelhead

California- Steelhead / YF/ Dorado

Montana- Smith river

Alaska- salmon  / trout/ steelhead

Hawaii- Bonefish

Canada:

BC – Steelhead

Quebec – Atlantic Salmon

Labrador- Atlantic salmon / Brookie

Iceland:

Atlantic Salmon / trout

Norway:

Atlantic Salmon

Russia:

Kamchatka – trout

Slovenia:

Marble trout

Australia:

Exmouth – queenfish

Darwin / north – Baramundi

Northeast – GT

Tasmania – trout

New Zealand:

Trout / Kingfish

Christmas Islands:

GT / Bonefish

Bahamas:

Long Island - Bonefih

Andros - Bonefish

Great Inagua – Bonefish

Grand Bahama - Bonefish

Cuba:

Bonefish / permit / tarpon

Africa:

Tigerfish

My fishing KPI consists of two criteria:

1. Did I get out and fish?

2. Did I enjoy getting out and fishing?

If I met one of the two criteria I consider my efforts a success. I've also found a 100% direct correlation between those two criteria. If one was fulfilled, the other inevitably followed suit. 

Posted (edited)

Fun.

And that was before I read  Mikes, DrBob's, and Baldwin's replies.

Been doing this a long, long time.

All of the most regrettable fishing days (and in one case....a whole week) I have had in my life were days (or weeks) in which I was KPL focused.

Some of the most unpleasant fishing partners I ever spent time with (and not long) were KPL focused.

The best fishing partners I have spent time with had no idea what a KPL was, were always visibly enjoying themselves, and were just plain consistent fun to be around.  

Some of the emptiest days I have had have been the days immediately after achieving some long set, many sacrifices made,  fishing goal.  "Hmmmm.....", I thought.  "Today I don't look any different, perform any different.  The women around me are no more impressed, or not, than before.  And today I no longer have that deep burning goal I imagined would make me feel so (insert variables here.....complete/accomplished/proud/worthy/manly/hot sh*t/.......).

For me, it took a lot of goals set....and reached, empty aftermaths, and days (or weeks) wasted with tunnel focus to finally get it mostly, but not completely, right.  But it is coming.

The movie "Groundhog Day" has a lot to recommend it.

Edited by Peter Patricelli