14 posts in this topic

I am picking up this rod soon and was wondering what size Stella or Saltiga would best match. This is a tough choice for me as I have zero experience with any of the above. I'm DEAD set on rod. 

Thanx in advance !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10k Stella or 5000h Saltiga would be my choices.  Also can't go wrong with the 14k Stella or the 5500h Saltiga Expedition if you want more firepower.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1328 11’ will work just fine with stella8000 to 18000, and saltiga5000 to 8000/7000 dogflight;  If you are pluging i would go with smaller reel with lighter weight; for canal jigging ... 6500H or 14k would be better option.  Or Just buy 2 reels so you have backup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same ballpark...but keep in mind that the Saltiga 5500 (Expedition) is only available as an import...Here in the states, it's 4000, 5000, 6000 (which is huge) and 8000 (plus dogfight sizes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Flatheadfletch said:

Is the 10k Steel same size as 5500 Saltiga ?

 

Pretty close I think. 

 

I use an "old" Stella SW10000 with my 1328. Works great for both plugging and jigging the canal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Alabama. I fish 3 big rivers for big blue cats and flatheads. I also fish Destin off the beach ! Dauphin Island for HammerHead sharks. I have lots of gear ! Tournament 5500 Entoh 45 Basia Ultegra ci4 5500 xsb and all ss whisker Daiwas. This ROD n REEL I'm setting up will be my big gun ! Long range sniper 4-6 n bait !  When plugging I'll use Basia. Does this help y'all to more better help me decide ?  I would like to be able to plug with the Saltiga or Stella , just not for hours on end !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fishing1975 said:

The 1328 11’ will work just fine with stella8000 to 18000, and saltiga5000 to 8000/7000 dogflight;  If you are pluging i would go with smaller reel with lighter weight; for canal jigging ... 6500H or 14k would be better option.  Or Just buy 2 reels so you have backup

Could you use a vs150? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TLap21. 

  I was thinking same as you but just from what I've read. Do you have experience with those to reels and would you prefer one over the other if you could only choose one ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

 

Pretty close I think. 

 

I use an "old" Stella SW10000 with my 1328. Works great for both plugging and jigging the canal.

EaglesDare. What kind of distance do you get with you 10000 on 1328 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Flatheadfletch said:

TLap21. 

  I was thinking same as you but just from what I've read. Do you have experience with those to reels and would you prefer one over the other if you could only choose one ?


I have the older 10k Stella and the new 5000H Saltiga and I also had the Century 1328.  I personally like the Saltiga better because it's a little lighter, but there really isn't much difference to be honest.  Shimano has a pretty unbelievable service department, so if that's part of the equation, I'd go with the Stella.  Also, I believe Shimano is releasing new Stella's at the end of this year, so if you can hold off, it may be worth checking those out.  

6500 Daiwa's are huge, as are 18k Shimano, so I would caution against those.  

Good luck!  Can't go wrong with either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.