Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfdaddy

How do you cut lead?

24 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a block of lead, it is an 8 inch square block. It is way too big for my little smelter. I have tried every saw I have to cut it into smaller pieces but have had no success. The blades load right up. I even tried melting it with a propane torch, but it is so dense it just absorbs the heat from the torch.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut it????

I have cut with a course sawall blade and on my bandsaw wd-40 will help the chips from stick any way you cut it will be a pain in the a$$

I heat a small area with a propane torch  then have at that area with a 3lb sledge and masonry chisel

Ive tried all types of power saws grinders etc but if the blade gets hot it won't cut through 

Agree with the above poster that cutting lead is a pain in the butt.

I cut it ag Work on bandsaw slow rpm very coarse blade and some water in a spray bottle.  

i have used a chisel and hammer in the past to do this. you just need to find something that looks like it will get the job done. 

I used a sawzall with a very course blade. It works fine, but it is very tedious and time consuming. I learned the hard way. I would never take any lead even free if it doesn't fit in my pot. Way too much work.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Going to give it a try again this weekend.

Hatchet, or axe as required .No dust, or particles.

Try a draw knife to cut shavings to throw into the melter.

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Try a draw knife to cut shavings to throw into the melter.

:idea: Brilliant !!

19 hours ago, Sudsy said:

:idea: Brilliant !!

Thank you! I'm old but I remember this stuff from when I wasn't old.

I had a few bigger blocks and they were a beast to cut .. locked up in vice and sawzall was not doing much .. took me long time to get through it once ..  put in good cutoff saw at work and got the drop on blade as slow as i could possibly get which is really slow .. we got a good saw and it would make it about a blade deep and melt over itself and had to sledge hammer it off blade more then once.. good thing boss not around for that one lol .. In hine sight like steal said water was prob key.. cause once warm it was a problem .. 

easiest way get yourself a cheap used cast iron pot and lil propane burner and Melt it down and pour into muffin tin or the like .. quick ,easy , no waiste ( although the lead filing are great for loading plugs ) and your not killing yourself or your tools .. .. 

all the large blocks I have gotten my hands on were melted with a propane torch...start at an edge or corner...a little patience grasshopper an she'll start giving in....