9 posts in this topic

Picked up a holdover paddle board from Black Hall Outfitters in Old Lyme.......Anybody wanna post pics of their setups? In particular the kind of rod holders you recommend. 

I also just picked up a Isle Sportsman ridged and believe the only rod holders I will have on it will be just attached to the cooler I will use for my "resting place,(seat)"

So will be interested in seeing what folks suggestions are here.

I was thinking to keep it as simple as poss., My Kayak looks like a battleship so I want to keep the board kinda clean.

5 hours ago, JoeSWFF said:

I also just picked up a Isle Sportsman ridged and believe the only rod holders I will have on it will be just attached to the cooler I will use for my "resting place,(seat)"

So will be interested in seeing what folks suggestions are here.

I was thinking to keep it as simple as poss., My Kayak looks like a battleship so I want to keep the board kinda clean.

That's what I'm saying.....As a novice fly fisherman I am quickly realizing that fly fishing line manages to get caught up on anything three dimensional, including fiddler crab mud bunkers:banghd:

I have 2 SUPS i fish from.  I sometimes strap on a cooler but more times i just keep it simple.  I have my pliers on my waste, a small box of flies and 1 spool of leader material in my pocket.  Sometimes a small anchor if i want to stake out.

But!

The single most important thing in my opinion especially if you plan on sight fishing is a line management bucket.  You need to have the rod ready and line peeled off and be ready to make a quick shot if you sight fish.  You need to be able to quickly put down your paddle and pick up the rod for a shot.  See photo below of my bucket.  I am actually going out this afternoon and will take a picture of it strapped to my SUP.

bucket.jpg

How are you fastening the buck to the board? I am assuming it is right in front of where your standing.

Great idea and tip, thanks.

My board is poly so this probably won't apply to your setup, attachments on mine use rivets just like with a yak.  It's got two Scotty rod holders (one bow and one stern), a couple of jam cleats and the bungee hold- downs for the cooler/ seat.  Flyrods with extended butts work just fine in the Scotty's, the reel faces up.  The dog stays attached on his own but mostly he's in the water.

SUP#sm.jpg

1 hour ago, Bonefish79 said:

My board is poly so this probably won't apply to your setup, attachments on mine use rivets just like with a yak.  It's got two Scotty rod holders (one bow and one stern), a couple of jam cleats and the bungee hold- downs for the cooler/ seat.  Flyrods with extended butts work just fine in the Scotty's, the reel faces up.  The dog stays attached on his own but mostly he's in the water.

SUP#sm.jpg

I Like it...