Salt water fishing both surf casting and boat fishing reel for kingies

Rkbr

"Kingies?"  

"Kingfish" is a name that's applied to very different fish in different parts of the world.  Near me, it's a small bottom nibbler with a barbel, caught on small bits of worm or clam most of the time, and just fine in the skillet.  "Kingfish" in Florida is a big member of the Spanish mackerel family, fast, toothy, and second in size only to the wahoo. It's a different critter entirely in Australia, and so on ... so would you like to be a wee bit more specific.

Don't worry about your English language skills, if it's not your mother tongue. We have all kinds of folks here, and we get along.  Unless they root for the Dallas Cowboys or the Red Sox. 

I just put a new combo together for Kings, aka whiting. Little fish with barbells under his jaw. I went to an older St. Croix 10' 1/2 to 3 oz rod , with a stradic 5000 reel spooled with braid. I used it for the first time last week and it worked great. I would recomend a reel in the 3000k to 5oook series. I went with the 5k series for the Blue or Striper that hit's this rig also. 

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

21 hours ago, Rkbr said:

Hi 

I do wharf , boat and surf cast fishing.  Please give me advise on a reel and rod my budget will be around 600 dollars.

The Beach Buggy forum is probably not the best spot (in Main Forum) for the most feedback.

Wikipedia indicates that the kingfish in question is the southern amberjack.  What will do me for local kingfish, a/k/a northern whiting, would be hilariously inadequate for anything related to amberjack, so it's just as well that I didn't offer advice on my experience.