ccb

Ghost stories / fishing at night?

16 posts in this topic

No ghost stories here, but I have gotten "spooked" at night.  One memorable event - I was 1/3 mile out on the salt flats fishing for bass when I got spooked about sea monsters and sharks.  It was so bad I had to leave.  It was a dead calm still night.  The funny thing is my conscious mind knew there was no such thing there, but I had to leave, I was spooked...

Chatham can really make up fog. With the cool Atlantic and the warmer  Nantucket sound a little breeze blowing will cause  a little or a lot of fog.

My buddy Al (the vampire, he only comes out at night) was heading to fish a popular point when a puff of fog came along shaped like a ghost (he claims) and scared the chit out of him

Was good for me as Al stayed away for a few nights 

PS  Was just funning about Al as he is a lot better fisher than me most times.

Just ask Ron A about the night Al caught a 50-55 on a bait casting outfit with ten lb test mono and let it go.

2 hours ago, DrBob said:

No ghost stories here, but I have gotten "spooked" at night.  One memorable event - I was 1/3 mile out on the salt flats fishing for bass when I got spooked about sea monsters and sharks.  It was so bad I had to leave.  It was a dead calm still night.  The funny thing is my conscious mind knew there was no such thing there, but I had to leave, I was spooked...

Sometimes you just get that chill in your spine and cannot shake it. I was fishing around 11:00PM in a small park with a smaller pier. Standard neighborhood, one or two streetlights. Out of nowhere some cats start fighting in the bushes to my left, making that horrible screaming sound they make. Scared the piss out of me and I could not shrug it off for some reason.

Was fishing a popular jetty one night in RI, and I was alone waiting on the tide. I expected others to show up and began hearing the sounds of Korkers scrapping the rocks. Turned around , and saw nothing. I didn't think much of it since most hardcore guys around here are very sensitive to the use of lights and I figured it was just a guy who knew his footing and could walk the jetty with the moon being visible. I kept hearing it, louder and louder until it sounded like it was so close that I couldn't possibly not see this person. I turned down the jetty, and saw nothing but a heavy fog rolling off the salt pond. This wasn't a horseshoe crab trying to climb up the jetty or anything like that. I stayed for a while after that but nervously kept looking back.

Spooked the chit outta me.

On this one jetty I fish theres a rock that looks like a human figure and i always find myself looking back at it and getting those chills.  Actually called it in the first night i went there.  Imagination, man.

Fished a spot several years ago, on a new moon night with a light wind. While casting i saw something moving down the shoreline very slowly. As it got closer i started to get a chill down my back. It moved very slowly and was changing shape. It got right up to me and raised the hair on my neck, before i realized it was an empty white trashbag. Doh!

2 hours ago, ATH1089 said:

Sometimes you just get that chill in your spine and cannot shake it. I was fishing around 11:00PM in a small park with a smaller pier. Standard neighborhood, one or two streetlights. Out of nowhere some cats start fighting in the bushes to my left, making that horrible screaming sound they make. Scared the piss out of me and I could not shrug it off for some reason.

Best antidote I've found is to try to think of "romantic situations" if you know what I mean. That generally switches the mind over to another track.  

Cape Cod has the "bog witch" where the "spirits" of burned witches sneak up on people walking around late at night around the new moon and you get a hot flush and a sense that there's someone behind you. You turn around, the witch--unburned but with a look of incredible anger on her face--is right there and starts screaming at you and you basically have to run away. 

I was walking in the water along a completely unlit stretch making my way down a concrete seawall to the next patch of open sand... moonless tar pitch black night.... started to lost my bearing so flipped on head lamp for a quick second... turned my head left to right and as i went to flip the light off i caught a glimpse of a transparent white black eyed monster practically at my feet... nearly $hit the waders and i did a splashing about face and let out one of the least cool sounds i have ever made... after nearly floating the waders trying to get away turned around... flipped the light back on and saw it was just sitting there immobile... decided to creep my way back to check it out to discover it was a huge bloated hairless dead cat that was nearly transparent from its soak in the water so that you could see its gut right through the skin... i laugh every time i think of that episode and i would have paid money to see myself screaming and practically drowning myself at the water's edge 

Posted (edited)

not a ghost story,never saw one out OTW before but,,,,,,

back in 1999,I was fishing along  CT river and the spot has a short trail to get to the water.

theres room for 4 guys to fish there and I was all alone.

the trail makes a 45degree turn before going down about 6 feet.

it's 3 am and I was hitting fish good for a while.

I hear a sound like a deer would make walking in the brush and leaves.

after about 10 mins it stopped.

I got a feeling to look back after a short time and on the next cast,I hear it again,closer and closer.

I was armed but,got big balls about and decided to take whatever it was with my 16 inch bowie.

without turning around I put my rod against some bushes,unsnapped my strap and pulled the bowie out.

I turned slowly and about 15 feet away was a young fox sitting down watching me.

it didn't even flinch and sat there after it knew I saw it.

I put the knife back in the sheath and went back to casting.

looked back and it was still there just looking around.

after a short while it walked away.

had my hackles up and I was ready to kill and then theres this cute baby fox,,,oh well.

HH

Edited by Roddy