nolegsinMiami

Icast 2018 Rumors

Rate this topic

207 posts in this topic

Little off track, but in all serious what advantages does a Star Drag offer over a lever drag? Have both but want a lever drag due to versatility and always wondered why some guys prefer star. Can anyone explain for me?

Denny, once the drag is set it’s done with for a Star. The lever drag you’d drop down, release the drag to do so, reset and I’d always check the drag each time I’d hit bottom. You pull a bit on the line to verify tension. I’ve missed enough hits on that drop moment to not use lever again. I prefer star drags for everything. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, nolegsinMiami said:

It’s that time a year again! Pretty exciting leading up to Icast.  What rumors are everyone hearing?  I have heard of a saltwater stradic and possible redesign of the Loomis inshore rods.

Loomis needs to go back to the old SUR965S surf rod.  Why they ever discontinued it and went with the IMX is beyond me.

6 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Little off track, but in all serious what advantages does a Star Drag offer over a lever drag? Have both but want a lever drag due to versatility and always wondered why some guys prefer star. Can anyone explain for me?

Star drags typically cast better because the spool typically completely disengages from the gear train. Many prefer them for vertical Jigging especially where you are constantly reeling & dropping as you don’t have to fiddle with getting the lever back to the right spot each time. 

4 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Denny, once the drag is set it’s done with for a Star. The lever drag you’d drop down, release the drag to do so, reset and I’d always check the drag each time I’d hit bottom. You pull a bit on the line to verify tension. I’ve missed enough hits on that drop moment to not use lever again. I prefer star drags for everything. 

1 hour ago, mitchman said:

Star drags typically cast better because the spool typically completely disengages from the gear train. Many prefer them for vertical Jigging especially where you are constantly reeling & dropping as you don’t have to fiddle with getting the lever back to the right spot each time. 

Thanks guys. Guess I never had issues or did any specialty fishing where lever became a problem. Always felt more secure with a preset strike so I knew exactly where I am at then can do adjustments on the fly from there vs making star adjustments

16 mins ago, dennysnook said:

Thanks guys. Guess I never had issues or did any specialty fishing where lever became a problem. Always felt more secure with a preset strike so I knew exactly where I am at then can do adjustments on the fly from there vs making star adjustments

Im with you.  As long as there is a groove or notch at strike the lever always ends up at the same spot.  

I'd really like to see more 50/50 split 11'+ heavy rods to fit in the truck for the long trip to big water and a reel about the size of a Squidder or 7000.  350'/20# mono , A great mag and drag. CT. I'd be all over 2 like a duck on a June bug

Posted (edited) · Report post

I felt like that too DSC as I too needed a 50/50 split because of limited transport space. I went with a custom ODM Jigster. 50/50 split and can throw sp minnow and 8 and bait no problems. I have used an avet sx and now have a custom Akios dynamo 666 on it. Love that set up.

Edited by CrashHard23

Thanks Crash

My brother and I have been using Penn Prevails and I have a Carnage II all 12' for the last 5 trips to the OBX. Have used 10and bait on all of them without any hickups hitting them hard. We can both hit about 150 yards on the grass with 6 oz, measured. Good cheap rods .I have a worked over  7000 and use a Squidder and him a Blue Yonder 7000 . It would be nice to step up a little on the rods.i use an Akios LSI 651 on a 9' Century KNE for plugging but that's as long as will go in the truck at a 30/70 split.

We both still like mono for main line so we would like a little more capacity too. The only time I used braid untill we got real about surf fishing was jigging for perch on lake Erie in 80' of water.

wait so are the accurate and avet reels real star drags where the drag is under the gear or are they hybrids as the marketing and appearance suggest where the adjusting thing is under the handle but the drag is on the spool like a lever drag (a superior design).