makorider

Jeep Wrangler pricing...and questions

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I miss my 90 wrangler for a long time now.  Been thinking about picking one up, particularly given my daughter will be driving in a year and a half.

Last year, talking w my neighbor at a BBQ, he says he'll probably sell his in a couple years.  I told him to let me know.  Perfect timing.

So this morning he's walking his dog, asks me if I'm still interested.  "Yes, but...." says I.  A little ahead of schedule in my mind.  No prob, we're headed to Canada, why don't you test drive it for the week"

I said that before I give you an answer, what are you looking for out of it?

He said $7-8K.  I tried not to smile.  It has 110 on it.

So I'm looking at used wranglers online right now, seems to me this is a no-brainer and shouldn't pass given the crazy prices I'm seeing.

Anyone have an idea of the year on this, and the trim level?  I'm thinking I have to start selling the wife on the idea.....

jeep.jpg

Edited by makorider

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, makorider said:

So I miss my 90 wrangler for a long time now.  Been thinking about picking one up, particularly given my daughter will be driving in a year and a half.

Last year, talking w my neighbor at a BBQ, he says he'll probably sell his in a couple years.  I told him to let me know.  Perfect timing.

So this morning he's walking his dog, asks me if I'm still interested.  "Yes, but...." says I.  A little ahead of schedule in my mind.  No prob, we're headed to Canada, why don't you test drive it for the week"

I said that before I give you an answer, what are you looking for out of it?

He said $7-8K.  I tried not to smile.  It has 110 on it.

So I'm looking at used wranglers online right now, seems to me this is a no-brainer and shouldn't pass given the crazy prices I'm seeing.

Anyone have an idea of the year on this, and the trim level?  I'm thinking I have to start selling the wife on the idea.....

jeep.jpg

That's a TJ, made from 97 to 2006. That's a fair price for that mileage provided it's a 4.0 which it prolly is. Judging by the mirrors that one is newer than 97 which means it's very likely distributor-less but also may be prone to cracks in the intake plenum. That'd be the first thing id look at.

Edited by fishinambition

2 mins ago, fishinambition said:

That's a TJ, made from 97 to 2006. That's a fair price for that mileage provided it's a 4.0 which it prolly is.

OK so older than I thought.

You think that's just a 'fair' price?  I'm seeing some outlandish pricing on used wranglers in my quick look just now

3 mins ago, makorider said:

You think that's just a 'fair' price?  I'm seeing some outlandish pricing on used wranglers in my quick look just now

Did you search AutoTrader? say a 25 mile radius... just compare prices 

1 min ago, RiverRaider said:

Did you search AutoTrader? say a 25 mile radius... just compare prices 

Did you read what I wrote?

Yes, seeing crazy pricing.  But I don't know the year or trim level (yet) so hard to compare apples to apples

1 min ago, makorider said:

If the interior is good then 7k isnt shocking for that mileage. The 4.0s are very sought after. Have the thrust angle checked. TJs are also prone to death wobble if it's off and it cant be 100% remedied.

1 min ago, fishinambition said:

If the interior is good then 7k isnt shocking for that mileage. The 4.0s are very sought after. Have the thrust angle checked. TJs are also prone to death wobble if it's off and it cant be 100% remedied.

Thrust angle?  Whats that?

I know frame rails can be prone to rust out, going to take it to a friend's and put it on a lift.  So tell me about thrust angle...you talking driveshaft?

Google the VIN to find the manufacture year and trim level.

There should be a VIN decoder on the web somewhere.

Then, plug that info into Kelly Blue Book for a valuation.

If you have it for a week, drop it off with a mechanic to get an inspection.

I had a '99.  Take a nice and hard took at the frame.  Take the rugs out and look at the tub.  I kept mine until 2016.  It was clearly not safe to drive anymore at that point.  Engine only had about 150 on it.  Still ran great.  I could have stopped it like Fred Flintstone though.  Also take it on the highway and see if you get the notorious "death wobble."