JRT

Orvis Hyros HD Depthcharge lines - views?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I fish these lines quite a bit.  There are lines that sink a little faster but for an integrated full sink I think it's the best casting line around.  It also seems to tangle less than most.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:41 AM, boatdrinks said:

I fish these lines quite a bit.  There are lines that sink a little faster but for an integrated full sink I think it's the best casting line around.  It also seems to tangle less than most.

I agree with boatdrinks.  The only sinking line I use.

I have a 300 grain that I use on my 9 weight, I like it under the right circumstances. As advertised it really shoots although even right out of the box every 3rd cast or so comes out of the stripping basket looking like a figure 8 on a bight. This is a line for deep water and fast current, I find that anything less than that and I'm cleaning weeds off my fly on ever cast. So if I'm throwing off the edge of a flat into a deep channel as soon as the charcoal part of the line comes from the channel to the flat my fly is picking up whatever is on the bottom there. This can be good for fishing crab flies on the bottom, but for other flies I find I need a somewhat buoyant fly on a long leader to prevent this. For spots with limited backcast room I will say you can make a single false cast and throw a lot of line easily. It's a good line in the wind too. I see it as an ideal boat line, a good line off a jetty into deep water and good for fishing crab flies off a sandy beach. Oh - and wear protection on your finger for stripping in line, it's not heavily textured but 2 hours and it cuts through my finger pretty good.

First thoughts on the line are that the running line seems thicker than most - good for reduced tangles but at the cost of distance. I have the 350 and it seems a tad heavy for my 9wt recon. I’ll fish with it for a few sessions and then cut it back if necessary.