bonefishdick

2018 Striper Kick-Off

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Sometimes we makes plans for a day and they don't always go the way you expected. Sometimes you make a quick change in your plans and things work out better than expected.

I hah zero plans on fishing today because I had doctor stuff to do, get a haircut for my son's wedding Saturday and other errands. Things went much fatser than expected and the weather looked to be much better than expected. I think deep in the back of my mind I wanted to get out today and that is why I looked at the tides and weather. Both looked favorable as far as time and wind direction. At High Noon I was wading into the water. The new plan for the day was in full force.

I decide that today would be a good day to try and break in my new LL Bean Bargain I bought last fall. I picked up a STREAMLight Ultra 9 ft 8 wt 4 piece for under $75. Today was also the first season in a long time I did not kick it off with a Betsy.

This was the set up for the day.

P1100548sol.JPG.37af9656a071e756a17f40af3e832534.JPG

This Clouser was the same one that was so good to me last year and when I opened the fly wallet this was the first fly I saw and I thought with high water a Clouser would be the way to go. It was !

This was the rod's first customer.

P1100553sol.JPG.446b1a92706e6bdb6fdf915cfaaffa5e.JPG

This was a very fat and healthy fish and very dark in color and easily pushed 24 inches. 

I really liked the way the rod felt and handled, it did not take me long to get the timing down and I was soon throwing 60 to 70 feet with no problem. The rod was a much softer action than I expected but I like softer action rods so I was very happy with the way it performed.

The weather was a lot nicer than expected and the wind very light. I think it only took about 6 or 6 casts before I had my first fish. The first one of the season is always good to get under the belt. What I found today was the fish were not in heavy or stacked up in any one spot and I had to work for most of the my moving around, I think in the 4 hours I fished this spot I picked up 10 fish, dropped 5 an d missed a half dozen. While I was fishing I did get a call from a friend who told me his father and a friend were hammering fish. I could have gone to that area but I elected to stay where I was because I did not want to deal with a lot people. I was enjoying my solitude.

I finally decided that the tide had really dropped and the flow was very light so I thought I would move and take a look at that other spot and only 3 people remained so I decided to give it a try. I fished it for one hour and picked up 14 fish and missed a good number. Most were much smaller than my first spot but I did manage to pull out two very respectable fish as well. My last fish cam at 4:59 pm, I gave myself until 5:00 to hit the two dozen mark. With tha accomplished I knew it was time for my first post Striper fishing trip cup of Dunkins.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Wicked-Fly said:

Hell of first day, nice work getting out Dick! Any significant bait present in that area?

No bait that I could see but a friend of mine said he did see a very big fish bust some bait very close to shore behind him.

Edited by bonefishdick

I did not have time to edit this last night but this was the last fish of the day yesterday, did not want a chance of a spot burn.

P1100555editsol.JPG.fc45b545a80ce25e1ea8fcfaf24b9095.JPG

I picked up the same rod a few years ago for cheap money, to use as a back up for a Bone fish trip to Andros. It was a pleasure to fish except on some of the very windy days.

Happy to see you had success with the stripers, now I expect them to be in my neck of the woods shortly.