tu1952

Cabelas salt striker surf rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a back up surf rod.  Usually I prefer 11 foot .. but I saw the cabelas surf striker surf rod 10 ft. 

Anyone use one ?   And what's your opinion ? 

I have the 11 foot (rated  up to 8 oz) and the 9 foot rod. Used them all last year.  Happy with both. I've caught blues and stripers on both rods and never felt under powered. They are both light and easy to use all night.  They're not whippy, either.

If the ten footer is as good as these two I own then it should be fine, too. 

Thank you,  the rod did feel light and stiff .. my old tica.. is a bit on the heavy side now ..   I'm going to also check the rockaway out.    

I like the salt striker pack rods a lot. The surf sticks are different. I do not care for them. Not fond of the tapers and the over quality. I think they are way over priced for the quality. Star Aerial surf rods are I believe the best bang for low $. I use a few of them as primary rods. I like them that much.

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, redfin said:

I think they are way over priced for the quality.

I can see that and feel the pain, too.
They're 100% graphite, not a graphite composite. It's hard to find a decent graphite rod that's not whippy for under a hundred bucks. But I didn't pay the regular price. :)

I got mine for about sixty bucks each. I was going to spend a lot more on a Daiwa or Tsunami rod. But when I saw that price I figured might as well get two!

I've been using a more whippy Ugly Stick catfish rod for slinging lures and spoons under 2 ounces. The catfish rod is rated from 1/2 oz to 3 oz! Medium Heavy. Only cost $35.

I wouldn't use it for chunking bait but for slinging lures it works for me. Heavier than the Salt Strikers though!

The nine foot salt striker is versatile. I use it for bait and for slinging 2 - 4 ounce poppers and lures.

Edited by TroutGhost

11 hours ago, TroutGhost said:

I can see that and feel the pain, too.
They're 100% graphite, not a graphite composite. It's hard to find a decent graphite rod that's not whippy for under a hundred bucks. But I didn't pay the regular price. :)

I got mine for about sixty bucks each. I was going to spend a lot more on a Daiwa or Tsunami rod. But when I saw that price I figured might as well get two!

I've been using a more whippy Ugly Stick catfish rod for slinging lures and spoons under 2 ounces. The catfish rod is rated from 1/2 oz to 3 oz! Medium Heavy. Only cost $35.

I wouldn't use it for chunking bait but for slinging lures it works for me. Heavier than the Salt Strikers though!

The nine foot salt striker is versatile. I use it for bait and for slinging 2 - 4 ounce poppers and lures.

The market is flooded with products now and some are priced pretty high for what you getting, I feel this line of rods has always been one of them. I did not want to imply they were junk. The new models do look better than the older ones. Maybe the pricing is more fair than I think. Can you tell me if the guides actually say Fuji on them? They are claiming Fuji hardware on these newer models. Just curious. The Star Stellar lite runs Pac Bay guides and is priced the same as your Cabelas rod at full retail. This is a fantastic rod if you like the 100% graphite feel. If you got Fuji hardware, and you like the action on you Cabelas rods, I'd say you got a great deal. Best of luck with them.