coastalfreak

Best Shotgun Loads for Squirrel

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I acquired my great-grandpa's Remington 1100 in 20 gauge. It was made in 1977, so it has a modified choke that is built in and therefore unremovable without gun smithing. I have shot the gun for countless trap rounds and it is wonderful. My question is- what is the best load to get a clean kill while balancing little pellets to pick out and not shredding the meat apart?

Thanks so much!

Early season when lots of leaves I use high brass #6s. Once leaves fall and the little bastards are educated and keep their distance I use high brass #5s. And agree they are a bitch to skin. 

10 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Early season when lots of leaves I use high brass #6s. Once leaves fall and the little bastards are educated and keep their distance I use high brass #5s. 

^

given one choice (which isnt reality) i prefer 5's.   Fewer, bigger to find and/or pass through.  I no longer find any pleasure in biting lead while eating.

6s in the 20 gauge always did the job for me. 

I prefer to hunt them with a 22, but I'm prohibited from doing that where I currently live. 

On 5/17/2018 at 8:30 AM, big popper said:

post-14285-0-56431100-1460330890.jpg

I bought (2) 5  packs of those when they first came out.   Haven't shot any yet  and have no idea why I bought them.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:30 AM, big popper said:

post-14285-0-56431100-1460330890.jpg

14 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

I bought (2) 5  packs of those when they first came out.   Haven't shot any yet  and have no idea why I bought them.

Don't you guys think that's a little over kill for squirrels? :laugh:

11 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Don't you guys think that's a little over kill for squirrels? :laugh:

I shoot them with a 22.   When I bought the Oath ammo stuff it was a spur of the moment thing. 

They were rather expensive if I remember correctly.

The last time I hunted squirrels was some 25 years ago. My kid and I were trying to get enough to make Brunswick stew to bring up north when I went bird hunting. I was using my S&W .22 wheel gun. The first shot put one in the pot, a box of shells later still only had the one and a few my kid got. Got the shoootsgun for the rest.