Angler #1

Haddock on the Captain John Boats

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I would like to thank Bob Avila from the Captain John Boats for inviting my adopted son and myself out on a haddock Trip out of Plymouth today . We had a great day out on the water . The fresh bait was free and be both almost limited out . David did limit and I had to stop at 11 as being on anchor made my stomach a little upset and also a little week after I let go chumming. The boat was real clean and a plus all the way around. The senior captain was also mating today and with out question did a yoemans job  If I must say so in helping all in need with help . The boat has plenty of rods and reels for rent and judging by those who used then all did well as most appeared to limit out . They had a nice Viking blonde doing the food and helping out. David went home with over a 100 pounds of racks for lobster pots that the mates cut from those fishing and extra bonus for sure. We got to see a few pods of porpoises up close as they swam around the boat for a while as well as several Whales as they broached the surface waves about a mile away from where we were on anchor. Good day, good people , good fishing, what more can you ask for on May16 2018 . Now I just need to recover my physicalitys and we will be good to go for tomorrow 

One of the first deep sea trips I made was on a Capt John out of Plymouth.  Won second place in the pool.  I was 7.  12lb cusk.  Pretty much the start of an addiction....

Most pool days are over now that every one is restricted as to what species they can keep. Cusk make for some great eating , even though they are an ugly fish of the deep . I really like your CRAB my friend That would look great on a t shirt or hat. Have you given any thought to do that.

I'm sure you caught some cod that had to be tossed back as well.I'm working as a mate on a charter boat/commercial boats this year and the Haddock fishing has been great.Every trip we throw back 50 or more beautiful cod.

13 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

…….. Good day, good people , good fishing, what more can you ask for on May16 2018 . ….

Amen.  Glad you and David enjoyed the day!

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

I'm sure you caught some cod that had to be tossed back as well.I'm working as a mate on a charter boat/commercial boats this year and the Haddock fishing has been great.Every trip we throw back 50 or more beautiful cod.

Jessica I only saw a few cod come over the rails and it was just as well. The trip prior to ours they had a whole bunch of 20 pounders they had to let go back in the water. How is mating going , getting plenty of cut time I expect. The standard cut fee on head boats is around the 2 dollar range, we prefer to cut our own . Have you found that the more they catch the better the tips at the end of the day or is it all worked into the day fee? Keep safe out there 

Edited by Angler #1

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, Joe G said:

Amen.  Glad you and David enjoyed the day!

Thank you my friend Going as a guest makes it even more special, like when we go on the Little Sisters in the spring . with Jason Colby

Edited by Angler #1

4 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Some beautiful market sized cod being taken and returned - aka GOM trash fish. Haddock fishing has been great.