xjclint

Fishing Pikies Methodology

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

How do you all fish big pikies to cull big fish?

Heard some rather interesting methods this past week while talking to a pikie guru and wanted to see if it checked out. He said he burns them to get them deep, then fishes them like a slash bait as they float up. Most of the big fish hit after the pause of the slash. Might have to rethink my super slow and straight retrieve methods. Anyone else have an odd way to treat big wood?

Posted (edited) · Report post

when I use pikies[giants and my own versions]I fish them LDP style.

sling them out,leave the reel in freespool and let it ride the tide waay out[100\150 yds]and then engage the reel,let the tide take out the slack,allow it to stand free waggling then a slow roll in or halfway or whatever then freespool and let it go back out again and repeat.

HH

results of the LDP tactic,,,,

yellow Rudolph=my version of a pikie.

2 others are creek chubs version.

5afcf8810922b_HHPlugWerxLDP775.thumb.JPG.8dcb982a97db15fcc3a7eb1ffeb7479d.JPG5afcf921b5c61_HHPlugWerxLDP778.thumb.JPG.940c2010a731b80f6799f254c018be88.JPG5afcf94e16149_HHPlugWerxLDP779.thumb.JPG.610de9873560d4f71c40a27943a51aa4.JPG5afcf9e9b1c6b_HHPlugWerxLDP783.thumb.JPG.d455dd9c49e02db371b52e20ba715f0a.JPG

Edited by Roddy

1 hour ago, PilotMan25 said:

Are you using this technique in an inlet or river?  Doesn't seem like it would that well out front on the open beach.

I use it wherever there is current washing over shallow water offshore be it a river or inlet, the fish seem to be out there during the ebb tide.

the tide needs to be moving away or past your position as well.

A number of different ways to use pikies. Roddy give some good info above. Some other basics of working a pikie below.

Surface pikies. Typically I'll have the rod tip up (10 to 11 o'clock position) for the retrieve. Take up the slack and start reeling slowly. You should see the pikie coming in with a nice tail wag and some roll. Should feel it thumping on the rod tip too. You can just straight retrieve like that, or add some additional action to the plug. For example, from time to time, speed up the retrieve. If your pikie is tuned to stay on top, the pikie tail will start slapping the surface more like a bait fish struggling to get subsurface. Keep the speed up for a couple turns of the handle, then go back to the slow speed. You can also add some rod tip action to get the tail slapping the water some more. Just simple twitches of the rod and the tail will slap as you retrieve. Mix these up to see what they want that day. If you have some current pulling away from you, you can work the pikie as above, and stop reeling from time to time to make it look like its struggling against the current. Same for when it gets closer to the beach and the wave starts pulling the plug back, slow down the retrieve and let it swim back a bit. You can bend the lip down a bit to get the plug to stay on top better and get more tail wag if needed.

Subsurface, similar to what Roddy suggested above. I'll use this when fishing a jetty during the drop or rips moving away from you. Typically when I do this I'll bend the lip up a little so that the pikie will dig a little more. Cast out, come tight with the line, start the retrieve. I'll often just let it hang in certain parts of the flow. Drop the rod tip to let it drift back a bit, a few cranks of the reel to get it moving forward. Let it hang again, repeat. Basically, the pikie looks like a wounded bait struggling against the current. 

Might also search the west coast forum. Fixter and Winch had some real useful pikie tips a number of years back.

Great thread.

Thanks for all the tips on pikies.

I am interested to throw large and see about "culling" out smaller fish this year.

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

21 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Great thread.

Thanks for all the tips on pikies.

I am interested to throw large and see about "culling" out smaller fish this year.

YW and I hope something I created helps you to do just that!

HH

Edited by Roddy

9 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Excellent replies. Im too just learning the art of the BIG plugs. unfortunately lost my only pikie (hahn) and cant find a replacement

those Hahns are nice plugs,too bad he has passed on,made many other great swimmers too.

Bob's are one of my faves too.

HH