Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J1NXZ

Braid or Mono

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Generally braid is superior in just about every way for surfcasting. If you are new to the game there is a learning curve or more like a “getting use to the difference curve”. It is not really that big a deal. 

If you are going the Braid route, make sure you get something to wrap around your finger.  Braid will slice through your finger on a heavy cast like a hot knife through butter.....

I personally use hockey tape.  A role of it goes a really long way.

Good luck.

My 3 bait setups have 125 yards of Fireline 20lbs braid and topped off with 30, 40, 50 lb Big Game mono. The braid is to extend reel capacity and mono for stretch to compensate for the stiffness of the  heavers I use.  Besides, it's more forgiving to the finger.

I don’t need no stinking tape.

seriously.......use the tape. I forgot it on my first outing this year and I have a nasty split in the side of my index finger. 

I have never used bait,but if you are fling heavy weights I'd use a conventional no matter whether mono or spinner.  The mono is more forgiving on the cast or hook set up.  I use conventionals with 50# braid and 3 OZ plugs and it is a dream machine. No tap needed.  If casting 1oz plugs I use a spinner 30# braid.  All have mono leaders.

I agree about the need for tape or some kind of finger guard.  I was recently at the OBX - hook got caught on my sand spike as I was casting - the braid ripped a big gash in my finger.  Had to go to Urgent Care to get it to stop bleeding.  Of course - my finger guard was in my pocket - not on my finger!!

I'm with HLBM.When I'm chunking on my sweet magged conventionals it's all mono baby.Ryan White turned me on to a mono called Sakuma Nite Crystal that I use in 20lb. test  in chartreuse that casts a mile,is abrasion resistance and doesn't telegragh any feel of the sinker like braid plus it's super cheap.Try and give it a shot.For my spinners I use Samurai and Maxcuatro for lures.