Steve in Mass

First Hummingbird...

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Just now saw one "buzzing" around outside my dining room window where the Hummingbird feeder usually is.

Guess it is time to clean it, load it, and put it out. :)

Funny...an azeala in my yard came into bloom yesterday, and I had a hummingbird on it this AM too.  First one I've seen this year. 

I've heard first hand from some friends north of Bar Harbor ME that they are up there already too.

I have a free Hummingbird or something similar sitting in a bucket in my shop.

I scooped it about 4 miles outside Boston Light last year and haven't tried to plug it into  a transponder.

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

I placed our feeders out over a week ago, and within hours I had hummingbirds.

Be very very kerful around dems boids, nasty this time of year...………………….

58 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Just now saw one "buzzing" around outside my dining room window where the Hummingbird feeder usually is.

Guess it is time to clean it, load it, and put it out. :)

Steve we’ve had them here for 3 weeks. And, for the first time, Baltimore Orioles 

Last Saturday, I was standing right where we usually have the feeder and a hummingbird flew right up to my face as if to say "hey where's my food?" At first I thought it was bumble bee about bonk into my face. I promptly got the feeder out and had three sightings this week.i

10 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

Last Saturday, I was standing right where we usually have the feeder and a hummingbird flew right up to my face as if to say "hey where's my food?" At first I thought it was bumble bee about bonk into my face. I promptly got the feeder out and had three sightings this week.i

Never had orioles, I just hope they stay. Small things entertain me.

46 mins ago, b-ware said:

Be very very kerful around dems boids, nasty this time of year...………………….

Are they as dangerous as swans?

I saw my first humming bird " in the wild" while turkey hunting last Saturday.  i was sitting on a field edge with some small russian olive trees.   About 5am this hummingbird came by sniffing the flowers and landed on a branch nearby.    Any other time I've seen them have been around the house, usually at a feeder or the flowers around the house.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Are they as dangerous as swans?

They stick ya with that needle sharp beak and those little wings are like buzz saws, take your arm right off...………………..

They were originally the pet birds of Count Dracula and that is why thy are attracted to blood red sugar water...………………….

Posted (edited) · Report post

Any tips for feeding hummingbirds?  I got a feeder for my mother this year, and although my parents have hummingbirds around I'm afraid it's only going to attract wasps.

Any ideas about correct placement would also be welcome.

Edited by derangler

Dissolve sugar in a ratio of  4 water to one sugar I nuke it and add a preservative that is available at any location selling bird stuff. I think keeping the feeder high is an advantage as well. And no I don’t think red coloring helps.