flyangler

Another trip to Hampshire, what water should I fish in late June?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I wanted to get to Hampshire for The Mayfly period but it just could not be worked out because of moving into new house, business meetings, etc.

Instead I am headed over at the end of June when the spring term ends for son #3 at Winchester College. At the moment, I am planning six rod days, three with son and three before he is done with classes. I am trying to get a day or two on the stretch of the Itchen controlled by the school which is pretty exclusive water. 

I have also secured the Longbridge beat at historic Broadlands for a day and a day on the Brookhouse “house beat” that I fished back in September on the Test. 

Tentative schedule is as follows:

28Jun River Test - Broadlands, Longbridge beat

29Jun open

30Jun River Itchen - East Lodge (tentative)

01Jul River Itchen - WinCol beats (hopefully)

02Jul open

03Jul River Test - Brookhouse, House beat

For those of you who know the chalkstreams, what other rivers/properties/beats should I be thinking about?

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Those not enough for you.:)

Mike

Mike, I have two open days that need to be filled. Yes, gluttonous but....

Good luck  with your search.

Hope the rivers  are in good nick when you arrive and the fly hatch strong.

You are  better at getting onto these exclusive waters than most English guys.

cheers

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can have a go at our bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) as you will only be a hour from the coast at most if you are in Hampshire. Prime time in late June. Although ironically there will be a bunch of us over on the cape at that time.

Edited by JRT

Hi

Lucky guy... Brings back memories of my youth!

I lived and worked near Winchester for a couple of years back in the mid/late 1980s at a Fish and Game dept at the local agricultural college. I used to take river keeping students to day placements at a lot of these beats . I used to love walking the banks of the Winchester college beat of the Itchen  and on the Test at Stockbridge watching the big fat trout. Lovely fishing. Some good put and take fisheries too eg Dever springs

I agree with JRT have a crack at the European bass or grey mullet if you can , e.g. on Chesil Beach.

Tight lines

Jim

My shot at East Lodge on the Itchen fell through, they are booked with corporate groups. 

If I can get on the Winchester College water, my son fishes for free because he is a member of the school's angler's society and I would pay 75 GBP per day for me. Talk about a bargain! Maybe try to get two days on that water. 

Any thoughts on the Rivers Dever or Dun?

I don't know if I can make it down to the coast, I won't have a car and don't know the area to DIY. 

I have a couple of booking agents I can try. 

28Jun River Test - Broadlands, Longbridge beat

29Jun open

30Jun River Itchen - open (WinCol?)

01Jul River Itchen - WinCol beats (hopefully)

02Jul open

03Jul River Test - Brookhouse, House beat

Edited by tomkaz

There's always a spot on my skiff if you can make it to the coast - not the best tides for sight fishing (my preference) but nice tides for fishing the southern maine ledges, harbors, etc. Send a PM if interested!

On 5/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, tomkaz said:

For those of you who know the chalkstreams, what other rivers/properties/beats should I be thinking about?

why not change it up and try for sea-trout or grayling ?

you have the Stour, Frome, testwood on the Test,  and ChristChurch Harbour.

grayling season opens June 15th. 

On 5/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, tomkaz said:

1 hour ago, Albieaddict said:

There's always a spot on my skiff if you can make it to the coast - not the best tides for sight fishing (my preference) but nice tides for fishing the southern maine ledges, harbors, etc. Send a PM if interested!

I appreciate the offer and maybe some future trip over there. 

1 hour ago, Aquacide said:

Fishing the coast would offer variety but I am dealing with complicated logistics, starting with a lack of a rental vehicle. Relying on public transport is a drag. 

We are also going to be centered in Winchester proper, so a bit of a distance from the coastal area. Lastly, my son has not fished these waters so looking to give him the best look at the Test and Itchen that I can in four days with him. 

Reports suggest that The Mayfly is late this season, just starting to appear this past week on many waters. That would put the duffers forthnight into early to mid June, just before the first cutting begins. I am hoping they do not push back the cutting dates as that could out them into my time there. 

I have one date set up with a "pen pal" from Instagram, a guy I have never met but who has fished with the guys I fished with in September. He will be joined by his sister and the son of celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey. I don’t know what the young man does for money but his weekend work is teaching neophytes how to fly fish. Should be fun! 

Edited by tomkaz

There is a very good reason why some of us Brits fly 3000 miles to the USA to fish for Stripers. And it’s not because we are fed up catching loads and loads of our Bass.

just about the toughest call you can make is to come to the Uk and fly fish from the shore for our Bass.

Sea Trout is a crap shoot.

Grayling if you know which rivers is not so bad.

Mike

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

There is a very good reason why some of us Brits fly 3000 miles to the USA to fish for Stripers. And it’s not because we are fed up catching loads and loads of our Bass.

just about the toughest call you can make is to come to the Uk and fly fish from the shore for our Bass.

Sea Trout is a crap shoot.

Grayling if you know which rivers is not so bad.

Mike

Mike, great point. My favorite way of fishing is on the surface. Dry flies. Poppers. Plugs. Chuggers. Surface metals. Steamers are a second and it is not close. 

While I love to pull big streamers for predatory trout, dry flies are my preference. Even when fishing nymphs. It is dry and dropper. 

Given my saltwater fishing opportunities in Florida, it is tough for me to get excited about another area’s “maybe” SW fishery. 

And then there”s the entire enjoyment/snobbery of fishing in the footsteps of Skues and Halford.....

Edited by tomkaz

Tomkaz

I am a Skues  man a much  freer thinker. He fought the establishment. I like guys who do that.

Both Iconic men.

But you have to smile at the exact imitation  Guys. How  can the best fly tied from either natural or synthetics  really ever be an exact imitation of a real flesh and blood  fly.

We do fish poppers and sliders and Gurglers for our Bass.

Finding Uk Bass on your own is not like coming  to the NE coast of the USA where if you have half a brain it’s possible to find marks and fish quite easily.

I don’t like  using guides but for anyone from outside the UK who wants to fish for our Bass and especially with the fly rod it really is the best bet.

Expect many blanks and when you do catch often they are less than 2 lbs in weight.

Our Bass are also very hard to catch during day light hours from shore.

It is  a very  short pre  dawn period or then at night.

Rivers are much easier to research . But Chalk streams are not cheap.

Have a ball.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver