Pulling Drag

Twin Power SW5000 Owners - Help

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Recently got this reel and out of the box has some stuff that making me paranoid. Here are some questions.

1) My Bail Arm Wire does not look straight leveled. One side is higher than the other side. Is this normal? Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/oNDgxWF

2) Also when first came out the box I was spinning it. The reel was very stiff and made friction noise. After spinning it a lot through out the day it has gotten more smooth and less noise but it has not completely gone away. Is this normal? And is this just the process of breaking it in? Trouble shoot update: The noise has gotten less and more smoother. I notice when I put pressure on the handle and push it in the noise completely goes away. What could this be? Could it be handle need greasing? Here is a video: 

3) Is this normal to get some play when the drag setting is really low? I have a video showing what happens. I turn down the drag bit by bit. Twist number 1-4 the spool has abit of play but the spool stays in tack. Twist number 5 and it doesn’t stay screwed in tack causing the drag to not make the drag sound. Is this normal and happens when the drag is on a really low to near lowest setting? Or I shouldn’t be getting play at all?

Thanks I hope some of you all can give me help and some clearance on this.

Edited by Pulling Drag

Is it a new reel?  Or used....or (new on ebay)

I'd have already packed it up and shipped it back.

12 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I bought it from a shop. But I think it is the display not totally new was missing a left hand pin and the handle was on the right out the box when it should of been on the left. Not a big deal but will give them a call tomorrow. Why did you send yours back?

But besides that does anyone have some answers to my question?

The Shimano Twinpower is a good reel, only problem is when purchasing one,  just cross your fingers that you get a good one. 

1 is normal and pretty much how all shimano bail wires are tapered, it's so when you close the bail and the line hits the wire it'll slide down to the line roller.

3 is normal as well from what I've seen, if set very light the clicker mechanism isn't full seated and won't racket aka make drag noise, also the vertical play of the spool is more significant with a loser drag setting but it's also inherent in reels with a worn drive gear train, it'll be like than on stellas,sustains,ci4s etc

(it's actually the vertical play of the main shaft due to the tolerances of the worn gear oscillation track which is purposely made a little lose so it functions smoothly, if they removed the "play" the reel would constantly bind on retrieve)

2 should be normal as well but I can't give it a 100% without the reel in hand but honestly pretty every reel has some of that type of noise

just curious how many or what other reels have you bought/owned? lol

Edited by Jetex2801
added more info

13 mins ago, Jetex2801 said:

1 is normal and pretty much how all shimano bail wires are tapered, it's so when you close the bail and the line hits the wire it'll slide down to the line roller.

3 is normal as well from what I've seen, if set very light the clicker mechanism isn't full seated and won't racket aka make drag noise, also the vertical play of the spool is more significant with a loser drag setting but it's also inherent in reels with a worn drive gear train, it'll be like than on stellas,sustains,ci4s etc

(it's actually the vertical play of the main shaft due to the tolerances of the worn gear oscillation track which is purposely made a little lose so it functions smoothly, if they removed the "play" the reel would constantly bind on retrieve)

2 should be normal as well but I can't give it a 100% without the reel in hand but honestly pretty every reel has some of that type of noise

Thanks. If anyone has more answers feel free to post want to see many people answers.

The bail arm is a little bent I ask my mate who has one. I don’t know how this could of happen? The bail arm is very strong for it to bend it must be a lot of force. Is this common thing brand new out the box?

I have owned a couple but Daiwa to Stradics. 

7 hours ago, Jetex2801 said:

That noise definitely shouldn't be there..that loud raspyness sounds like a crunched or corroded bearing.  Or a number of things not acceptable in a 500$ brand new reel.  (some new reels have a rasp...but even a bone dry improperly lubed Nasci doesn't sound like that.)

That raspyness is pretty loud.  And that's a pretty quiet reel

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

That noise definitely shouldn't be there..that loud raspyness sounds like a crunched or corroded bearing.  Or a number of things not acceptable in a 500$ brand new reel.  (some new reels have a rasp...but even a bone dry improperly lubed Nasci doesn't sound like that.)

That raspyness is pretty loud.  And that's a pretty quiet reel

You're probably right, I wouldn't doubt it seeing Shimano's quality control seems iffy recently having received multiple Stella FJs with issues. 

My 5K TP bail also has an angle to it, guess that's normal. But that noise shouldn't be there. Call Shimano at 877-577-0600. I usually go through Keith. They'll help you. By the way of all my spinners that one is my favorite. 

TP 5000.jpg

UPDATE: After breaking it in and spinning heaps the reel now has gotten smooth as butter. Which is good.

Though the noise has gotten less loud and only comes on at a certain fast speed. I also tried applying pressure down on the handle while spinning the handle and it completely gets rid of the noise. Does anyone know what this could be and how to fix? Also included a video of the improvement progress.

Edited by Pulling Drag

On 5/18/2018 at 9:41 AM, Pulling Drag said:

UPDATE: After breaking it in and spinning heaps the reel now has gotten smooth as butter. Which is good.

Though the noise has gotten less loud and only comes on at a certain fast speed. I also tried applying pressure down on the handle while spinning the handle and it completely gets rid of the noise. Does anyone know what this could be and how to fix? Also included a video of the improvement progress.

I used to own many tw sw , Stella,  but never have a rash noise like that.

A couple of things.  Take the handle off the reel completely.  Make sure the collar around the handle shaft is all the way towards the knob and then reseat the handle.  Lastly if you could take the spool off and crank the handle to see if the noise is still there it would be a great help.  Thanks

On 20/05/2018 at 7:39 AM, Rapidfflow0 said:

A couple of things.  Take the handle off the reel completely.  Make sure the collar around the handle shaft is all the way towards the knob and then reseat the handle.  Lastly if you could take the spool off and crank the handle to see if the noise is still there it would be a great help.  Thanks

Tried doing what you told me and it still makes the noise even with the spool off. 

But the noise is really really low not very loud like before. It is getting better. But I still wonder what is making the noise and how to make it go away completely? Please if anyone know or have similar experiences please share.

Does anyone know how I can open up near the handle and check the gears? Which screws is it I want to open to see if anything is rubbing causing that noise from the handle area.

Also if I can open have a look I might try to lubricate aswell see if it makes any difference. With lubricating the handle gears and internals what should I use? Oil or grease? Or it doesn’t really matter? Not sure what to use.

On 05/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, scoobydoo said:

Good advice, take it back