EarningStripes207

Fishy claims in Southern Maine

60 posts in this topic

Went out to a Local tidal river yesterday and was greeted by some awesome shad fishing, Herring were also super thick to the point that at dead low they were spooking themselves out of the water almost like they were being chased. I have heard many claims from a few individuals and a tackle shop that stripers are here in very small numbers but I watched many people try for what would have been the first striper I have seen this year on a wide variety of baits and lures from bloodworms to sp minnows and even live herring with 0 success. I did see a guy who swore to me he was getting hits from 28 inch fish pull in a 2 foot eel after losing a whole box of blood worms but thats as close as I've come.. Anyone else claim their first fish up in Maine yet? Also can anyone give insight on this years regs regarding Herring/Alewife 

Hmmm...A tad fishy indeed.  I did go to a certain Marsh this PM, and although I came up empty, it was great seeing 3 other guys also come up empty.  It's great to be out again...

Man the anticipation is getting to me, 0/2 outings so far for me. Any tide now...

0/2 myself, however, royal wedding this weekend!  That means my wife has kicked me out all day!!!  Awesome!

Not sure how to "rate" this, but I've been casting 2X this year, more to shake out the inevitable wind knots in my freshly spooled braid than any expectations of actually catching something.  Well expectations met, no fish and expected first wind knot acquired and cleared.  Still have 2 other rods to "fix", will try one at 1/3 part of this morning's flood with the same expectations as outlined above.

Did dig some worms and drowned them on Tuesday in a futile attempt on flounders...

First trip out yesterday, no linesiders but did get my dad his first shad. LOTS of shad around FYI and tons of bait showing on sonar.  It won't be long......

I hooked into what had to have been a schoolie on the fly yesterday at the mouth of a marsh.  I lost it due to my novice fly fishing skills. (first year noobie).  The other 3 guys I talked to down there had no success.  I think it starts now.

I ended up trout fishing last night ( and Monday night).  I am headed to VT to trout fish for 5 days, but I will get after them in earnest starting next Thursday.

Posted (edited)

Much the same song on this end, seeing a fair amount of bait under the lights at night but an excess of rain/run-off has turned the water into a floating toilet, from seaweed and debris to hay-bail sized islands of that straw weed. Save for a few small schools of silversides with herring working under them, I haven’t seen much. Hoping to hit S.B. up the river a ways tomorrow but a brake job on the Exploder today did little to quell the screeching noise coming from the undercarriage so that too may get put on hold 

Edited by OOB Fisherman

Fish are in, but sporadic, south of Portland.  One or two rats per session, with the occasional sturgeon, are the rule...