Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass Ackwards

Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 Digital Camera w/10x Optical Zoom

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 Digital Camera w/10x Optical Zoom

I'm thinking of getting one. The price is great, it zooms out enough to make me happy, and it seems damn simple to use. I presently use an Olympus Stylus Tough TG-3 that's 5 or 6 years old, takes great pictures but when something is zoomed in the pictures come out blurred beyond recognition. So I'm looking to replace it with something cheap, small, pocketable, and with some zoom power.

5afc2b6dd30bc_May72018003.thumb.JPG.0e043fd29c8d76e178d7a9938c1e7955.JPG

So Googling through cameras I came across this Cannon Elph that's under $200 and has great reviews. Does anyone own/use one and what are your thoughts on it.

Bought one about two years ago and then last fall bought the SX620 w/25x zoom.  The 190 performed great but we were going on a trip and wanted better zoom capability for photos of remote lighthouses.  Still use the old camera to carry in the car but on trips we carry both.

3 hours ago, CaptRandy said:

Bought one about two years ago and then last fall bought the SX620 w/25x zoom.  The 190 performed great but we were going on a trip and wanted better zoom capability for photos of remote lighthouses.  Still use the old camera to carry in the car but on trips we carry both.

Can you hold the SX620 still enough with your hands to take sharp pictures at 25X? My hands shake too much to take decent pics when magnified too much. I have a Cannon Power Shot SX40HS that takes great long range pics when on a tripod but when I hold the camera the pictures suck big time. I'm thinking about 10X would be max for me but there is so much I don't know that this may not be correct thinking.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ELPH 190 only because I haven't found anything that fits my needs better. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

1 hour ago, CaptRandy said:

Set the timer for 2 sec and you hit button then photo is taken 2 sec later so shake is overcome.  

You will still have shake if holding it by hand, or do you mean on a tripod? I can take pictures no problem with a tripod, I just don't want to use one for the vast majority of my pictures.