aggressive animals in the woods?

Rate this topic

31 mins ago, jkrock said:

Tell that to the guy in SC out kayak fishing.   I bet he wishes he shot it first.

I call BS.

Two on the hand suggests he was trying to catch it.

The fact that the friends did catch it supports that.

Rattlesnakes just don't drop from trees on people, especially not over water.

Yes, they can climb, yes, they go near water.

Still, the most commonest things happen most commonly. 

Very uncommon, pretty much unheard of for rattlesnakes behavior. 

Very very common, statistically, for young adult males to be bitten on the hand while intentionally mucking with a snake.

But I admit I chuckle over the image of a guy with a snake in his kayak blasting away with his gun.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:37 AM, lurejunkie00 said:

i was threatened by a beaver once, thought nothing of it until the guy in russia was killed the same way

I was approached by a very aggressive beaver and instantly thought of the guy who was bit in the femoral artery. I just packed up and left. I was also snuck up on by a coywolf in the dark while bank fishing. It was there for the trout i had laying next to me as chunk bait. As soon as i pooped on my light it ran off. 

3 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

I was approached by a very aggressive beaver and instantly thought of the guy who was bit in the femoral artery. I just packed up and left. I was also snuck up on by a coywolf in the dark while bank fishing. It was there for the trout i had laying next to me as chunk bait. As soon as i pooped it ran off. 

Fixed it for ya :howdy:

11 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I call BS.

Two on the hand suggests he was trying to catch it.

The fact that the friends did catch it supports that.

Rattlesnakes just don't drop from trees on people, especially not over water.

Yes, they can climb, yes, they go near water.

Still, the most commonest things happen most commonly. 

Very uncommon, pretty much unheard of for rattlesnakes behavior. 

Very very common, statistically, for young adult males to be bitten on the hand while intentionally mucking with a snake.

But I admit I chuckle over the image of a guy with a snake in his kayak blasting away with his gun.

Story already changed. 

He picked it up.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, mikez2 said:

Im not exaggerating when I say thousands of people will swear that is a copperhead. In certain places in the south and west it would be socially acceptable, even expected to whip out a hand gun and blast away. Kid's and dogs and neighbors and their own arms and legs down range. And propane bottles. 

And the snake could never hurt them in a million years. 

Is that a New England Pit Viper?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, Joe G said:

This AM Boston Globe:

Cougar kills cyclist in Wash. state. 

One man was killed and another seriously injured when they encountered a cougar Saturday while mountain biking in Wash state.   The two men were on a morning bike ride in the foothills near North Bend when the attack occurred.

Authorities found the cougar standing over the body of the dead biker. Officers later tracked the mountain lion and shot and killed it.

More facts have started to emerge from this encounter....….perhaps some of us can learn from this tragic event as mountain lions make their way deeper into Western and Central MA. 

"As the two cyclist biked the foothills, they heard a scream from behind and looked back to see a cougar approaching them.  The two tried to ride away from the cougar but realized they could not outpace an animal believed to be capable of running 30 miles per hour.

The two then got off their bikes and shouted at the animal, and one swung a bike at it.  It seemed to work, and the animal ran into the woods.  But as they were about to leave, the cougar burst out of the woods and attacked one biker, latching onto his head and shaking him violently.

At that point the second biker dropped his bike and ran away, but the cougar followed and killed him.

The first biker pedaled 2 miles to get a cellular signal and called for help.  Searchers found the cougar a short distance from the original attack site, standing over the second bikers body.

A team of hunters were called in to track down and kill the animal." 

18 mins ago, Joe G said:

More facts have started to emerge from this encounter....….perhaps some of us can learn from this tragic event as mountain lions make their way deeper into Western and Central MA. 

"As the two cyclist biked the foothills, they heard a scream from behind and looked back to see a cougar approaching them.  The two tried to ride away from the cougar but realized they could not outpace an animal believed to be capable of running 30 miles per hour.

The two then got off their bikes and shouted at the animal, and one swung a bike at it.  It seemed to work, and the animal ran into the woods.  But as they were about to leave, the cougar burst out of the woods and attacked one biker, latching onto his head and shaking him violently.

At that point the second biker dropped his bike and ran away, but the cougar followed and killed him.

The first biker pedaled 2 miles to get a cellular signal and called for help.  Searchers found the cougar a short distance from the original attack site, standing over the second bikers body.

A team of hunters were called in to track down and kill the animal." 

Cougars are native to that area with a healthy population of actual live animals. 

They have had two attacks in 100 years.

Cougars have been extirpated from Ma for 100 years and the ones in the Quabin are phantoms that don't eat, crap, get hit by cars or leave foot prints.

What can we learn? Don't go mountain biking?

54 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Cougars are native to that area with a healthy population of actual live animals. 

They have had two attacks in 100 years.

Cougars have been extirpated from Ma for 100 years and the ones in the Quabin are phantoms that don't eat, crap, get hit by cars or leave foot prints.

What can we learn? Don't go mountain biking?

Go mountain biking but with a gun...………………………….

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Go mountain biking but with a gun...………………………….

Aww, that's too obvious. 

Seriously, I know it don't sound it but I support the right of anyone here to carry presuming all the obvious law and order steps are taken.

I don't agree a gun is needed 98% of the time.

Solid stats show your gun is more dangerous than any Massachusetts animal. 

I like the safe feeling I have in the woods in Ma. Our laws and our culture are different from other places Ive been where I personally ended up down range of armed idiots trying to kill a harmless snake.

Just be careful out there. 

I've lived in several states and I think the culture and laws in MA can be pretty onerous, particularly for the gun owner.   I guess it's all perspective. I don't like other people deciding what is best for me.  it's the way I am

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician