davedodge

Bull Minnow

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any luck with the Sebile Bull Minnow. I bought one and tried it a few days ago. It might be a little big for schoolies this time of year. I like the way it moved for sure though. Another question. I have a Penn rod that sometimes won't break apart. It's a rod I usually use for chunking. It fits in my car in two pieces, but occasionally I can't get it to come apart. Any advice would be great.

I got a Bull Minnow as well, but I think I'll save it for when I know there are a lot more bigger fish around.

Keep your rods dry and clean. I’ve found the more hocus pocus you slap on the ferrule, the more counterproductive it can be.

As far as the Bull minnow, I have tested all 3 models quite a bit (floating, sinking, bullet). My personal favorite is the sinking. The action of the floating is the best and the bullet has the least action. This is due to the amount of weight in the tail section of the plug dampening the action. 

The sinking model has just enough weight in the ass to cast well (surprisingly well), while still maintaining most of the amazing action you’ll see in the floating model. I remove the rear treble and in its place put an Owner inline single which frees the tail up even more. With the introduction of a belly swivel (albeit a belly swivel that’s connected to a pin housed in plastic running perpendicular across the midsection of the plug and not a thruwire system), decent hooks that pose as 6x VMCs but are more like 3x, I think that for around $10 the floating and sinking models will definitely be in my bag this season.

In other news Sebile launched his new line of surface plugs under the brand name Ocean Born lures. They come in a variety of weights and sizes. I just tested the 4.5oz SLD “Super Long Distance” (might as well have a “Duper” thrown in there) pencil popper. When we first saw the prototype for these in the fall I was pretty excited. The plug seemed like it was a 4 oz bank sinker stuffed in the tail of a cotton cordell. While I’ve yet to test the other models in the lineup, I was really disappointed in the “SLD” and beyond the fact that it cast like a turd with hooks, the fact that it’s a round-bodied sinking pencil made from plastic and not wood like my typical go-to sinkers makes planing it to the surface a pretty ridiculous ordeal (even with the little side wings). I’d rather just load a Cordell at that point and call it good. 

06F4A2A5-1F2B-44E9-B2D3-C6722DF16EEC.MOV

Last week I was slaying schoolies. They hit everything I threw at them SP Minnow, Savage sand eels, Spook, Magic swimmer, haogy shad, and about a 12 inch fish on a 9 inch pencil. They would not touch the Bull Minnow though. I only cast it about 10 times. I was getting at least a hit on almost every cast so when nothing happened with the bull I switched to something else quickly. I love the action of the bull. you can really feel it and see it. Hopefully this is only because there were small fish in the area. biggest was about 2 ft. Not a good sign that they were hitting anything and everything except the bull minnow though.The best working for me that night were the bone SP Minnow until sunset and after that a 1.5 oz hoagy shad with the paddle tail in blurple and small green and dark colored sand eels. Another strange thing was that they weren't really hitting the blurple SP Minnow. That is usually my go to lure with schoolies after dark and usually outfishes everything else in that scenario. The Bull Minnow that I was using was blurple also so color may have had something to do with it that night.

Jurys out on the bull for me. I got a sinking model. For a swimming plug it casts like a rocket with little effort and runs fairly deep. more distance than an sp or xrap but those have their place for sure. Im undecided on the action as i havent used it much yet. I did get one small fish on it so far.  i cant remember if i canal rigged it. That may be the next step to free the action a bit.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:23 AM, Dan_evan1 said:

In other news Sebile launched his new line of surface plugs under the brand name Ocean Born lures. They come in a variety of weights and sizes. I just tested the 4.5oz SLD “Super Long Distance” (might as well have a “Duper” thrown in there) pencil popper. When we first saw the prototype for these in the fall I was pretty excited. The plug seemed like it was a 4 oz bank sinker stuffed in the tail of a cotton cordell. While I’ve yet to test the other models in the lineup, I was really disappointed in the “SLD” and beyond the fact that it cast like a turd with hooks, the fact that it’s a round-bodied sinking pencil made from plastic and not wood like my typical go-to sinkers makes planing it to the surface a pretty ridiculous ordeal (even with the little side wings). I’d rather just load a Cordell at that point and call it good. 

That's not what i was hoping to hear.. That's a little surprising since his original pencils cast pretty good and aren't too difficult to work. Sounds like i'll be sticking with those.