flyangler

Right-of-Center Never-Trumpers Worse Than Liberals

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

An interesting outcome of the ascendency of Trump is the degree to which certain Republicans, or just conservative types, became Never-Trumpers. There are examples everywhere and some names that come to mind are Kristol, Erickson, Rubin, Will, Noonan, Wallace and a bevy of others. 

But there is one guy who I have not liked for over a decade, since the presidential election in 2008, GOP "strategist" Steve Schmidt. The former McCain 2008 campaign director had become a regular on MSNBC where he uses his air time to blast whatever Trump has done that day. The guys is a sanctimonious d-bag. 

Held up by the Morning Joe crew as a pillar of Republican reason, I do have to wonder whether Schmidt remembers who he worked for in 2008? Consider the hypocrisy: 

Steve Schmidt: Trump Has “Blood On His Hands” For Jerusalem Embassy, Trying To Stave Off Midterm Loss.

—Real Clear Politics, today.

Schmidt: McCain will move US embassy to Jerusalem.

—Israel Today, July 28, 2008.

The NYT resident conservative David Brooke would be in this category as well, except he said he finds things worthwhile in Trump's accomplishments to date. Still hates the guy, but giving credit, grudgingly. 

All lifelong politicians hate Trump, he's an outsider who doesn't fit into their D or R ,L or C box. He is a problem solver and that is what he is trying to do, all while being stonewalled by those who want to keep things as they are.

Everyone's a leftist except Trump and Eddy.  

President Trump has utterly redefined the Republican Party. Old-school conservatives who are at least semi-serious about traditional Republican values (free trade, anti-Communism, personal morality, limited government) have been swept into a corner.  They'll stay there unless and until Trump leads the GOP to electoral disaster, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

6 mins ago, BrianBM said:

President Trump has utterly redefined the Republican Party. Old-school conservatives who are at least semi-serious about traditional Republican values (free trade, anti-Communism, personal morality, limited government) have been swept into a corner.  They'll stay there unless and until Trump leads the GOP to electoral disaster, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

conservatism doesn't change, therefore, you cannot have "old-school" conservatives.

either you are one or you aren't.

That leads back to arguments over whether President Trump is a real conservative or not.  IMHO he is not, he's reactionary, but it doesn't matter what label you put on it. Trump is Trump. 

13 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Wait, how does this work? How does Trump redefine a party from whom he does not have 100% unquestioning support? I have listed a half dozen or more professional Conservatives/Republicans who are NeverTrumpers, are they no longer Republicans? 

In polls, Trump gets 70-80% of support of self-identified Republicans, do you dismiss the other 20-30%. 

As for the “values” you claim Trump is sweeping into the corner, how is he doing away with free trade by demanding fairer trade? The threat of tariffs have been used to address unfair trade practices, no? If a trade partner government is subsidizing their commercial sector, is that “free trade”?

Anti-Communism, now is Trump ignoring that? Don’t say “Russia” as Russia is no longer a truly communist country. Is Trump bailing out Maduro as Obama might have? 

Personal morality, well, that is like art, you see what you want to see. But Pence is a sign of sweeping morality into the corner? Trump’s outreach to evangelicals? 

Limited government, seems to me Trump is achieving some results in shrinking the government’s strangle hold on society. No, he has not shrunk the budget but headcount growth has stalled and prior team’s overreach is being corrected. That works for most “conservatives”. 

Trump is NOT a Conservative. He has some values one could call conservative but those are more because they are based on common sense and realworld efficacy rather than some deeply held political credo. 

Saying people call him a Conservative is a cannard. 

24 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Define semi-serious.  There is where you make your mistake as talk is cheap

20 mins ago, BrianBM said:

That leads back to arguments over whether President Trump is a real conservative or not.  IMHO he is not, he's reactionary, but it doesn't matter what label you put on it. Trump is Trump. 

for someone to even ask if Drumpf is a conservative should be embarrassing.

"Furious Republican Congressman calls Trump a [MF er] in conversation with conservative pundit"   April 2018.   Hilarious, but I question?    Cant C&P, but Article was published in AlterNet.

"...I'd vote to impeach him myself, most of us would, I think..."

My take away:  Many "republicans" and "conservatives" publicly support the President, but privately despise him. 

"right of center", left of center, center, far right, far left,  there are never trumpers everywhere.