Brand new to the salt

Rate this topic

First post here. 33 years old and fished my whole life, mostly for bass and catfish. I spent a gold mine in the last couple weeks and am ready to get out there. I did some research thus far but is there any pointers that are not so obvious that a lot of people overlook? I plan on throwin a rod out there with some cutbait and messin around with lures on the side. I am good as far as tackle goes. Just want whatever can be given in the form of advice. Appreciate any help in advance and can't wait to start reelin em in!

47 mins ago, JerseyJammin said:

First post here. 33 years old and fished my whole life, mostly for bass and catfish. I spent a gold mine in the last couple weeks and am ready to get out there. I did some research thus far but is there any pointers that are not so obvious that a lot of people overlook? I plan on throwin a rod out there with some cutbait and messin around with lures on the side. I am good as far as tackle goes. Just want whatever can be given in the form of advice. Appreciate any help in advance and can't wait to start reelin em in!

Good luck and have fun man. You were me about 5 years ago.

Advise? Wear corkers or studs if you go out on the rocks.

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

Good luck! My advice is to pick one method and learn it well. Bait works. Lures work. Doing both at the same time isn't easy and in my opinion cuts your focus and attention in two. 

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.....

Watch the tide and don't turn your back.  Almost seems like it comes in all at once in 5 minutes. Don't rush anything.  Take the extra second, when things get hairy they do so fast. Watch the water, what it does will tell you what to do. Keep a log, so many variables in the surf.  Good luck brother

Good point about the bait rod. Guess i'm used to fish that won't just pull your rod in. Well in that case I'll probably go with the intention of trying both. Starting with lures, then settling down to bait toward the end just to wind down.

When wearing waders, always, wear a surfbelt.  If wearing a surf top, it goes over the waders.  Both help keep your waders from filling should you get hit with a wave or trip and fall.  

Safety first on the water.

Oh yea and a triple +++ for focusing on one and avoid doing both.  If you wanna chunk, and now seems like a great time for it, what with four 50 pounders caught on chunk recently, be at the ready. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

3 hours ago, fishless said:

Oh yea and a triple +++ for focusing on one and avoid doing both.  If you wanna chunk, and now seems like a great time for it, what with four 50 pounders caught on chunk recently, be at the ready. 

Sounds good. So quick question then. And btw all, I ordered Korkers and a surf belt so I'm good to go there. Exactly why I made this thread.

Anyway, to my question. I have an 11' Heavy rod with 40lb braid so I plan on throwing that out with 8 oz. My question is I also have a 10' Med. Heavy with 30lb braid and the rod is rated for up to 4oz. Can I get away with using that for a 2nd rod and throwing 4 oz. out there or is it a waste of time? Plus I guess with the bait I shouldn't really be throwing 4 oz. on it. I'm used to the raritan and delaware where I can throw 3-4 oz. non rolling sinkers and be just fine.