cclifford85

Fishing Kayak vs. Dinghy

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hello, i'm in my teens and am in need of a way to get out on the long island sound's water for fishing. Pier fishing is great, but you have to cooperate with the tide and if the baitfish decide to come in, all the time. My friends are looking into fishing kayaks, but i'm looking into inflatable dinghy's as well. I would put a 55lb thrust trolling motor on it as well. Just wondering if anyone has some pro's or cons or especially some opinions. Thanks.     

*Price point is not an issue the one of each i'm looking into are around the same price ~600.

I had a 12ft inflatable Saturn boat with a 9.8Tohatsu on it. All the inflating, deflating, and storing got old quick.......The kayak goes from the roof rack to the water in seconds. 

A kayak will keep you more in touch with your environment.

A dinghy and motor could give you a false sense of security.

Your mates won't laugh at you if you play with your kayak in the bath ... (Rubber duck ... get it :th: )

Aluminum boat V-hull.  Plenty of room for gear and friends to come with you. Can find one with trailer for $600.  Much more stable.  Plenty of room for fishing and gear and to land a striper.  Reeling a striper while holding a paddle is not convenient. And put a cheap 4hp gas motor.  55lb thrust doesn’t move well in a current.  

Old boat $250

trailer $150

motor $200

24 mins ago, Mikeinri said:

Aluminum boat V-hull.  Plenty of room for gear and friends to come with you. Can find one with trailer for $600.  Much more stable.  Plenty of room for fishing and gear and to land a striper.  Reeling a striper while holding a paddle is not convenient. And put a cheap 4hp gas motor.  55lb thrust doesn’t move well in a current.  

Old boat $250

trailer $150

motor $200

Thank you, sounds like a good plan 

8 hours ago, Africaster said:

A kayak will keep you more in touch with your environment.

A dinghy and motor could give you a false sense of security.

Your mates won't laugh at you if you play with your kayak in the bath ... (Rubber duck ... get it :th: )

True, I have experience with kayaking as well

1 hour ago, cclifford85 said:

Thank you, sounds like a good plan 

Those plastic molded sundolphin boats are nice too.  And easy to clean.  

36 mins ago, Mikeinri said:

Those plastic molded sundolphin boats are nice too.  And easy to clean.  

Those sundolphins for saltwater? Also where would I find a $200 aluminum boat?

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, cclifford85 said:

$250 rather, as you said

Use Craigslist.  Just searched and in 30 seconds found one.  Though I posted the link I’m thinking you can’t do that a sit said my post would need to be approved.  

Edited by Mikeinri

Where in Long Island sound are you?  A boat needs upkeep/registration/insurance, and those prices hes saying are pretty unrealistic IMO. I've gone both routes, a 16ft lowe type aluminum, and an ocean kayak prowler, I fish way more with the kayak than when i had a boat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

$200 for an aluminum boat isn't unrealistic. You'd be surprised at what prices are on Craigslist for boats. I check them fairly frequently.

Kayak prices tend to maintain their prices better. No matter how old they are, people don't let go of them for under a few hundred bucks from retail price, pretty much what brand new costs on sale.  

I rarely see a good kayak on Craigslist for anywhere near half of retail.

Edited by TroutGhost