‘I believe the time has come to bring that investigation and the other investigations of the matter to an end. One year Is enough..”

Rate this topic

JohnP

Ken Starr's investigation of Clinton ran from August 1994, when he was appointed in lieu of his predecessor Robert Fisk, and ended in October 1997.  I don't recall for how long Fisk hadbeen running the investigation before Starr took over, but Starr's part ran for a little over three years.  I recall no Republicans complaining that this was too long, unfairly long.  Starr concluded that Vincent Foster's death was a suicide, and found nothing criminal in the Clinton's Whitewater investigations. He did turn up a blue dress, and Clinton's perjury about sex.  I recall no Republican complaints that what he found had nothing to do with what he was empowered to investigate. 

My, how things change.  It's just so awful that this investigation is more then a year old. It's terrible

Back then, they had to physically look at every paper, document, picture, movie, etc... 

Today, all that can be done on a computer with little effort and no time. 

Comey said they went thru 650K emails in one week. As an example.... 

5 mins ago, BrianBM said:

My, how things change. 

+1

Ain't that the truth! Things have changed and the world works at a much accelerated pace tan every before. 

I only say this for you our resident anachronism.

To most younger people this is obvious. 

Edited by J

7 mins ago, J said:

Back then, they had to physically look at every paper, document, picture, movie, etc... 

Today, all that can be done on a computer with little effort and no time. 

Comey said they went thru 650K emails in one week. As an example.... 

+1

Ain't that the truth! Things have changed and the world works at a much accelerated pace tan every before. 

I only say this for you our resident anachronism.

To most younger people this is obvious. 

Really?  And no need to take testimony from witnesses?  And no need to serve subpoenae on anyone for anything? I hadn't known that Mueller has the use of psychics who can command witnesses' memories via telepathy.  I hadn't known that the investigation was supposed to be over without reference to ongoing developments, either.  

Consider.  Once upon a time there was a meeting between Donald Jr. and some Russian, which didn't happen.  He said so. Well, then it happened, but it was about Russian orphans. Then it was really about some dirt that was offered by the Russians on Hillary (yay!) but Dad didn't know. Then the number of people involved sorta, increased ... just a little .... from Don Jr. to a total of nine.  Dad still didn't know. The Russian lawyer had no tie to the Kremlin, until she did.  And Dad didn't know until his email ("I love it!") came out. 

Letting a possible defendant (admitting that Mueller has yet to say that President Trump is a target) shoot himself in the foot is very much a part of the process. 

You have no clue as to what Mueller has gotten, or is getting, from his witnesses.  Not from Flynn, not from Gates, not from Papadoupolous, etc. Neither do I.  You have no clue what Papadoupoulous picked up during the three months he was wearing a wire into the White House. Neither do I.  You have no clue, nor do I, what the Inside Source in the White House is, that Nunez is so desperate to discover so that the President can fire him/her/them.  

None of us have a clue what Mueller really has.  Nor how many people have been indicted, charged, pleaded out, and are now working for Mueller.

Starr had a relatively straightforward investigation.  No need to subpoena anyone or any document outside the United States. No money laundering through the Caymans, or Panama, or the Republic of Fiji.  No tracing of money from Russian oligarchs (did you notice that Michael Cohen got $500K from one?) He also had the assistance of lots of the GOP's paymasters and trolls, like Richard Scaife, and the team of reporters let out by the WSJ to help. This is far, far more complex.  

If this investigation was simply a matter of bulk searches of email, perhaps it would be over.  Life should only be so simple.

What's "obvious" concerns how much experience you have with the investigation and prosecution of international white-collar crime.  You are clueless and happy to be clueless.  Your privilege, enjoy.  

P.S.  Manafort's pitch to have the case against him dismissed has been rejected, rather vigorously, by a Federal judge. Do you think he'll roll?

P.P.S. Gen. Flynn has a new book coming out.  Some material was quoted on CNN tonight, in which Gen. Flynn praises President Trump in terms that suggest the second coming of George Washington, or Abraham Lincoln, or both.  I listened to the quotes, with some surprise (they really bonded well together) and I have a translation to offer:

"Oh Deity in Overweight Heaven, oh Orange Headed Master (hint) please save me from perdition, because Mueller has my ass in more ways then I can count.  Grant unto Me a pardon, because if you don't, I will roll on you like a whale skating down Everest and squash you into so much lard and hot air."    

What do you think?  Can Gen. Flynn do that, or will Manafort's testimony be needed too?

30 mins ago, mitchell master said:

Bengazi needed a special prosecutor.

Nine investigations, all dominated by thoroughly partisan Republicans desperate to damage her anticipated Presidential chances.  ONE of them who had a spasm of honesty. Kevin McCarthy turned over chairing the ninth inquiry after blurting out that the inquiry had no real purpose save to complicate her forthcoming Presidential run. (Rep. Gowdy had no such embarrassing spasm). And when all was said and done .... they couldn't manage to make a single referral to the Justice Department.

Edited by BrianBM