Nicky Da Fish

Nags Head July 4th Weekend

18 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2018 at 3:04 PM, Wheeler said:

How about kayak fishing in OBX this time of year? Any recommendations on where to try that?

I have had some seriously good kayak fishing for specks in the sound. Find any turn off between rodanthe and Avon, paddle out 1/4- 2 miles until you are in ~4 ft of water with patchy sand/grassy bottom (this is the key). I usually bring 2 rods one rigged with a gulp shrimp on 1/4 oz jig, another with the same behind a popping cork. 

2 hours ago, Springer said:

I have had some seriously good kayak fishing for specks in the sound. Find any turn off between rodanthe and Avon, paddle out 1/4- 2 miles until you are in ~4 ft of water with patchy sand/grassy bottom (this is the key). I usually bring 2 rods one rigged with a gulp shrimp on 1/4 oz jig, another with the same behind a popping cork. 

:howdy: Thanks Springer! Will definitely give this a shot.

I generally find a large area with the kind of bottom I like and drift but I think the fish are keyed on the edges of the grass. Any small grub or gulp will work but I like the gulp shrimp. The abundant pinfish with their sharp teeth will bite off the back end frequently. The gulp shrimp has a meaty tail that holds up better. Whatever you use bring a bunch of them as you might need to refresh bitten off tails frequently. I usually search with the popping cork and switch to the jig only if they are biting good. The best thing to do is buy your stuff down there from Hatteras Jacks and they will give tips and launch sites. The little I know on this fishery I learned from talking to those guys and implementing.