Mousam

9 weight salt slam! Help needed.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was given a nice 9 weight fly fishing rod and reel setup. It’s got floating line and I’m able to cast saltwater flies. I know I’m going to get a striped bass soon and am hoping to get two final Maine saltwater species using athis rod. I got the easy ones like bluefish already!

any advice on how to approach these would be so help. Thank you!!!!!

1: Northern Pike (Sea-run)

2: Haddock

Thanks again. I know I might need sinking line but hope to use floating approach. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

Strip all the floating line and pack the reel with 20lb braid, 3 to 5 ounce clouser and you are in business! 

I don't know if a 9 wt appropriate reel will hold enough braid for fishing 200' of water...

Mousam: The Satirical SOBs here, myself included, are telling you that a haddock on a "normal" fly situation is virtually impossible.  Haddock live close to the bottom in 100'+ depths.  You may be confused in that you've seen "Haddock" or "Cod" flies in tackle shops.  Yes, they exist, but they're used as part of a groundfish setup where they're tied about 18" above a 14-24 oz Norwegian diamond jig and dropped into the depths.   The only groundfish that you can likely catch on a fly is a pollock where you can catch small ones along rocky shorelines, but even there a sinking head will help.

BTW, I too have never heard anything about "Sea Run" Northern Pike, you sure you don't mean Browns or Brookies?  You can also add shad to that list...

Edited by Roccus7

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

there's a guy on the fly page that FF's for sea-run pike,Norway I believe....it's actually a thing,google it

Learn something every day!!

I did Google it and found this:

Pike are seldom found in brackish water, except for the Baltic Sea area. 

Very interesting, but as you mention, any serious attempts for a sea run Northern means a trip to Scandinavia.

Edited by Roccus7

Guys. I have to confess. I was kidding. 

I called this joke, in my head, “Stripers 2018.” It’s actually an April Fool’s joke...just showing up a bit late.