kenjan

Hobie sport

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wanted to get a opinion on the  hobie sport. Researching a hobie for my wife. How is it on the bay ocean with wind?

thanks

Edited by kenjan

Had a sport for the kids

its fine but when I saw my friend on it it felt like too small for him

why not go revo 11?

the vertical side walls catch wind

its like a mini outback

turns on a dime

but my kids just hug the shore so can’t tell you how it does on choppy waters

Edited by kinghong1970

My wife is 4'11".  She had an Outback for 5 seasons and liked it but was never quite comfortable reaching the steering lever.  When we "upgraded" to the newer Hobie's with the Vantage seat she tried a Sport and it is a perfect fit.  It seems quite stable and she feels safe using it.  One day a couple of seasons ago while coming out of Watch Hill to cross the Pawcatuck. a yahoo in a 40 footer put the hammer down about 15 feet behind, and 8 feet abeam of us.  My wife yelled to me and we both cut in toward the wash and quartered it.  We made it through without nearly a splash........we should have both tipped or been knocked off.  She has full faith in the Sport and I continue to have full faith in the Outback...........and the Vantage seat was worth every penny of the upgrade!

For someone 4-11 it perfect but the revo 11 for the same price is a more functional kayak. Im 6-1 and use my wifes revo11 all the time. In a sport my knees are up near my face.

I have both for entirely different water.  Love them both.  For out front, Rev 11.  Fresh water, Sport.  Both, Rev 11.  Why the Sport for fresh water?  Lighter (easier to man handle), smaller to fit into the back of my car, no need for registration in my State, under 10ft.  Sits higher for cold lake water.  

Negatives, it doesn't cut thru the water like a Revolution, so you get splashing in choppy weather.

Edited by CR Yaker