hobobob

Welcome to New York, Money Talk, BullS*** Walk

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Wen't to the local DMV in Brooklyn this morning. Haven't been there for quite a LONG time.  First thing first, since street cleaning starts in less than 30 minutes today ( just my luck ), there are no street parking in the immediate vicinity.  Not even a metered spot.  There is a paid parking lot in the back for god knows how much and it's cash only.  Go around the block once, find a free spot a couple of streets away.  One of a few free one along the rows of meter parking area.  Read the signs helps here.  Once inside, instead of the receptionist desk, you have to go the start here line to get a ticket and a form. 

So I got my form and went to the form filling area. Get this, they removed all the pens on the form filling area. I walk around a bit looking for a pen.  Found a few empty counter in the back where no one is around when a pen chained to the desk.  So I figure why not since no one is around. Starting filling out the long form even though I only need a reprint of my license with my new address. All the info is already in their system. Suddently I hear a loud voice said to me "Sir", I look up and a dmv worker said "Sir, you can't do that, you can't fill out your form in this area" . "I have no pen and I only need a moment to fill out my form" I replied.  "You can't do that here, if you don't have a pen, there is a pen vending machine over there" the girl replied sternly while pointing to a couple of small vending machine near the entrance.  I don't want to start an argument that I can't finish. So I walk over to the machines. Sure enough Pen 50 cent written on the machine. WTF! I said to myself.  With the last 2 quarter I had in my pocket ( thank god I didn't empty my pocket change last night ) I bought a pen and finished my form.  The next guy walk up to the machine had the same thought as I did. "You can have mine when I am finished and leave it on top of the machine for the next guy when you are done." I offered him my pen and my good deed of the day. 

Luckily, the waiting wasn't too long and the clerk was quite swift with my request. I walkout of there in less than 30 minutes.  They improved the waiting time and there are seats in the waiting area now. I have to admit, but this squeeze out every single penny mentality rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully, I won't have to visit this place again any time soon. I hoped. 

The NY DMV had gotten really good for a while a few years back. I went there a few months ago and it seems they’re back to their old ways. I picked up my number, it looked like I would be there at least two hours. I went home ate lunch, and about two hours later went back. They were about 4 numbers away from my number. Worked out for me, but 2+ hours to renew a license is ridiculous.

When I went toDMV as a teenager it was a whole day affair,  no matter what. You better have your stuff in order too. How much is your time worth? You go to DMV without a pen and complain about 50 cents for one. How many do you were stolen when they were free?

19 mins ago, BASSOMATIC said:

When I went toDMV as a teenager it was a whole day affair,  no matter what. You better have your stuff in order too. How much is your time worth? You go to DMV without a pen and complain about 50 cents for one. How many do you were stolen when they were free?

I too spent 6 hours in the DMV to get my license many moons ago. Standing on a long A$$ line. I had an appointment time too.  How many pen I stole, none. I would offer and have offered my pen to anyone who needed one.  Did I mentioned I was using a chain up pen for a brief moment and didn't bother anyone or take up anybody's time before I got yelled at?

Why do I need to fill out a form if they already have all the information in system, the form is just a formality for the DMV worker to proof that they are on the clock working, not for my benefit.  After he hear all the info is already in the system, he just glance the form and circle a couple of spots. All in less than 30 second. My face time with the clerk is less than 5 minutes, most of it is just waiting for the system.  It's not the money, I wouldn't blink twice they would raise the total fee and offered me a chain up pen for me to use. it's the mentality. up to try milk the most out of you for your visit.   Before you walk in the door to the DMV,  you go through a little mall. You got your traffic court defense store on your right, Car key booth in the middle, I forgot what's on the right, but it's more of the same. This should be a government service center.  Not a strip mall.  Even strip mall have a parking lot for free. 

You can do most things online now, so look into that as Stu mentioned.  Also, if time is important, consider driving out of the area.  My closest one now is near Roosevelt Field, but it's been worth my while to shoot out to Suffolk and hit the one that used to be in Amityville, it's in the old Caldor shopping center on the edge of Massapizza Park.  Well worth the drive.  Check to see it's still there, that one has moved quite a few times.  Before the online thing got good, I'd save the DMV stuff for a trip upstate, and roll the dice I wouldn't get pulled over on the way up.  I'd hit the one in Pulaski while waiting for someone to smoke my fish, and usually I'd wait 1-2 people, and they were - gasp - friendly. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry, I think all my interactions have gotten much better than in the past. I had to renew trailer registrations as usual. Boat trailer I did online, printed a temp, had the new registration and sticker by the end of the week. Camper I had to go to DMV, because I couldn’t find the right code on my registration for the fifth wheel. But I did make an appointment, printed out the form, completed most of it, and was in and out in 20 minutes for a 11:00 AM appointment. Did the same appointment routine for returning my sons plates, out in 10-15 minutes. A little forethought and preparedness goes a long way. And it helps to bring your own pen. 

Edited by Shag

15 hours ago, StuC said:

Did you try to do this online first?

Yes I did. Long story short I had to pay them a visit.  Like I said before, hopefully never have to visit this place again. 

Coworker went last week to renew her license and upgrade it to the enhanced.

The one by Roosevelt Field.  Had a 3:00 appt and didn't get out of there until 5:05.

I will say when I went there 2 years ago to register our boat, I had an appt and was done in 20 minutes.

I guess it depends on the day.

Went to DMV with my 16 year old son to get his permit on a Friday. Had an online appointment..I get there and both scan machines are of course broken so I can't scan my appointment. Went to wait on the line with everyone else. 2 hours go buy when some clerk comes out and says if you have an online appointment you can by pass the line!! NOW she tells us!! Anyway i didn't get out of there until 4 hours later..This was the Massapequa branch. 

On 5/16/2018 at 6:35 AM, valleygoog said:

You can do most things online now, so look into that as Stu mentioned.  Also, if time is important, consider driving out of the area.  My closest one now is near Roosevelt Field, but it's been worth my while to shoot out to Suffolk and hit the one that used to be in Amityville, it's in the old Caldor shopping center on the edge of Massapizza Park.  Well worth the drive.  Check to see it's still there, that one has moved quite a few times.  Before the online thing got good, I'd save the DMV stuff for a trip upstate, and roll the dice I wouldn't get pulled over on the way up.  I'd hit the one in Pulaski while waiting for someone to smoke my fish, and usually I'd wait 1-2 people, and they were - gasp - friendly. 

Yep don’t go to the crowded ones. There are locations all over, Garden city sucks had to go today parking lot was full drove to Bethpage was in and out in 30mins. 

Look online and print the forms beforehand and it’ll solve lots of problems.

I'm guessing you went to the one in Coney Island.  Like anything in Coney Island these days, it's basically like walking into a third world country.

The rest of the NYC DMVs aren't so bad (well, Manhattan and Queens, the ones I've been to at least having lived near all 3).  The one in Coney Island is the worst by far.  Bonus points for being next door to the welfare office, where I accidentally waited online for 10 minutes before realizing I wasn't interested in free cheese.

I took my wife to the Coney Island DMV last month to renew and upgrade her license to an Enhanced one. I made an appointment online a week before, printed out the required paperwork, and we were in and out of there in 20 minutes.

i guess it all matters on what day you go there?