RJ Schaefer Salt Water Fishing Contest . . .

Rate this topic

cartopper

I remember these from when I was a kid . . . tried to hard to catch a "Schaefer fish", but believe they had to be at least 15lbs to qualify.  Going through boxes and packing for a move, I came across one of my fathers citations.  Have a couple of the pins somewhere but could not locate.

SchaeferCup.jpg

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

Yup, sold and closing 6/11 . . . probably moving to a townhouse in MB or LB temporarily until I find a new home in the area.  Starting next winter will spend some months in Fla working and fishing.

That kid ready for a rod yet?  Text me and we can fish one of these days . . . hasn't been too bad as you probably know.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

R J Schaefer Fishing Contest

The R J Schaefer [ F.M Schaefer ] Fishing Contest was very popular with surf fishermen and many surf fishing clubs of the day. The contest itself was probably the largest venue of it's kind ever attempted and was comprised of all types of fishermen; from the weekend party boat angler to the hard core surf fisherman all competing for awards in different categories. The contest had its beginning in 1946 and ended in the mid 1970's. On this page I will try to show you some of the awards, etc. related to the surf fishing aspect of the contest

Remember it well - minimum weight for bass was indeed15 lbs.  Anglers were awarded points for each bass weighed on official scales 

one point per pound for bass caught from a boat

two points per pound for bass caught from shore

Based on your dads citation he either caught 408 pounds of bass (over 15 lbs) from a boat or 204 pounds of bass from shore.

Besides individual awards fishing clubs competed with each other for aggregate weight of all fish entered by its members.

This was not a C&R contest.  The OTW Striper Cup used this old Schaeffer Contest as its model with a few tweaks over the years.

Thank you DZ, didn't know the specifics . . . my dad was a surf fisherman.  

Probably back in 1970 or 71 I was fishing a jetty with a friend, we were around ages 10 and 12.  My friend caught a really "big" one and both of us pranced into Monmouth Bait and Tackle (commonly referred to as Paulie's) thinking he had a Schaefer fish.  All the "old timers" were there and when we weighed it, 13 lbs. LOL  Of course we walked out of there with our tails between our legs.  

55 mins ago, DZ said:

Remember it well - minimum weight for bass was indeed15 lbs.  Anglers were awarded points for each bass weighed on official scales 

one point per pound for bass caught from a boat

two points per pound for bass caught from shore

Based on your dads citation he either caught 408 pounds of bass (over 15 lbs) from a boat or 204 pounds of bass from shore.

Besides individual awards fishing clubs competed with each other for aggregate weight of all fish entered by its members.

This was not a C&R contest.  The OTW Striper Cup used this old Schaeffer Contest as its model with a few tweaks over the years.

Yep, I was a youngster in high school in the early 70s.  Our local club was entered and we were always after "point" fish.  Of course almost everyone sold their bass back then including me.  I was very adept at catching the smaller bass up to about 25 pounds which were both good for the club and good for my first job as the school bass brought the best price at the market.  I was able to tally quite a few Schaeffer points as a surfcaster and if you got over 500 points I think you got a pin.  Some of the high hooks had thousands of points.  Different era, different ethics.  The only C&R was if your bass wasn't 16 inches ;) 

13 hours ago, Joe Randolph said:

Hi Guys...Joined this forum just so I could show you this....my dad worked for Schaefer in the 60's...I was just doing some cleaning myself

Schaefer Pin.jpg

Nice - anyone remember the Schaefer Beer jingle?  "Schaefer, is the, one beer to have when you're having more than one!"