fishinambition

Question for the gearheads

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Driver side front window was working intermittently then stopped. At first I could wack the door panel to get it to work but not anymore. Motor never sounded like it was straining. Bad connection somewhere?

Yours sounds electrical to me, like a connection went bad. The banging made it work for a while, and then stopped. 

But it could be anything. I had one a few months ago that was new to me: the cable in the regulator unraveled from the tension pulley, or whatever that's called, and that caused the motor to turn, but not put the window up. \

You can get a new regulator for $30-$50, depending on model, and with the videos on the Youtube, you can fix it yourself in an hour, 90 minutes tops. There's no reason to pay someone even for diagnostics: to fix it, you're going to have to remove the door panel, and once you've done that, you might as well put a new regulator in. It's very, very easy, and it will save you plenty of loogt.

19 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Driver side front window was working intermittently then stopped. At first I could wack the door panel to get it to work but not anymore. Motor never sounded like it was straining. Bad connection somewhere?

Me also. I'm a smoker. I need driver side window down an inch to flick the ash out. Told wifey don't touch the window till I get a chance to fix this. Nooooooo she closed it.  Mofo went down will not go back up. Now I gotta go fuq with this, derecho coming and I'm not in the mood to do it.

You should be allowed to beat them once or twice a month just for the dumb **** they do.  :laugh: 

What kind of car is this, if it's the jeep, I'm betting switch, I had to replace mine in the Ram very early on - it was a pretty common failure. As I recall, there was also some talk about "reflashing" the computer to fix it, but I gambled on the switch and that's what it was,

But then Belmo is saying regulator, so there's that.

Would think if it was the regulator, you would hear the motor "trying".  

2 mins ago, Billybob said:

It could be anything -- I actually don't think it's a regulatory. 

But if you can get a new regulator for $40, and you have to take the door apart to diagnose it, and your regulator is more than about five years old, you might as well replace it while you're in there. 

37 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Switch.

5 mins ago, Billybob said:

What kind of car is this, if it's the jeep, I'm betting switch, I had to replace mine in the Ram very early on - it was a pretty common failure. As I recall, there was also some talk about "reflashing" the computer to fix it, but I gambled on the switch and that's what it was,

Jeep is long gone. Gen 4 camry. It's old but was lightly driven. I need to remove the door panel to replace the latch anyway. Im wondering if i shouldnt just have a master switch handy and or a reg as ive read they go to. Not sure what ill do yet.

5 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Jeep is long gone. Gen 4 camry. It's old but was lightly driven. I need to remove the door panel to replace the latch anyway. Im wondering if i shouldnt just have a master switch handy and or a reg as ive read they go to. Not sure what ill do yet.

The Dorman regulator and lift assembly (741-720) for a 2000 Camry is 55 clams at Amazon. You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, and you can definitely find it cheaper at a junkyard. But if it were me, I wouldn't remove the door panel without putting in a new regulator. You might as well once you're in there.  

And you can always do it the scummy way: order the regulator, but don't take it out of the box. If you don't need it when you get the door panel off, send it back. 

That's the way my friend Slim would do it. :th:

4 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Can you pop the switch out without removing the door panel (you could on mine).

If you can, pull the connector off and jump the terminals, see if it moves.

Although a door with a latch and a window that don't work might be kinda cool.

For you.

20 hours ago, woowoo2 said:

It's the switch...

Throw 12VDC on the motor to confirm.

Hey look at that, someone with a brain, unlike Belmo who will just throw parts at it because "you're in there".