Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fly By Nite

Is my pole too heavy?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hi all.  I just had a custom pole built.  It has the most expensive components and weighs 9 ounces.  Do you think this will be too heavy to toss plugs with?   

1 min ago, ByronPA said:

As long as the reel is machined from solid stock trytanium magneasyum I think you'll be OK..

:laugh: Yes. As long as the reel weighs in at no more than 12 ounces, you'll be just fine. Hopefully you had it wrapped in colors to match the reel. 

It depends if your a hipster or a between the nadster.

A hipster can handle that weight, but you need balance if your riding under the boys. 

15 mins ago, Billybob said:

It depends if your a hipster or a between the nadster.

A hipster can handle that weight, but you need balance if your riding under the boys. 

I'm sure the mainer is used to slapping his nuts. :laugh:

His first post. We should convince him that the Tavern is the real place for good advice. Lol

9 ounces, if you're not pulling are chains, is feather-light. I built a rod last year that started with a pretty light blank (9-foot Lami Arra), and it ended up being a hair over 12 oz. I'm guessing it's either shorter than 9 feet, and/or one a them high-tech blanks from CTS or Century. 

I weighed everything that went into that rod, and the guides weighed 0.75 oz., the reel seat 1.5 oz., the butt cap an ounce, and everything else (grips, tip top, thread, finish, etc.) about 2 oz. I really don't know where I could have cut weight down, short of not using a reel seat, so I think you started out with a lighter blank, but whatever what you shake it, 9 oz. is about as light as it gets. 

In conclusion, Terri Mae sucks.

8 mins ago, shb said:

What if you left off every other guide?

Would that make it light enough to keep TM from sucking?

There is nothing on god's green earth to keep him from sucking. 

13 hours ago, Belmo said:

9 ounces, if you're not pulling are chains, is feather-light. I built a rod last year that started with a pretty light blank (9-foot Lami Arra), and it ended up being a hair over 12 oz. I'm guessing it's either shorter than 9 feet, and/or one a them high-tech blanks from CTS or Century. 

I weighed everything that went into that rod, and the guides weighed 0.75 oz., the reel seat 1.5 oz., the butt cap an ounce, and everything else (grips, tip top, thread, finish, etc.) about 2 oz. I really don't know where I could have cut weight down, short of not using a reel seat, so I think you started out with a lighter blank, but whatever what you shake it, 9 oz. is about as light as it gets. 

If you tape it all on with electrical tape...works awesome.. .except tip top....that needs ferule cement.

15 hours ago, Belmo said:

You actually finished a rod?

6 hours ago, i07nyc said:

You actually finished a rod?

Zing!

But I did -- for the Christmas auction. And it sold for 600 clams! :howdy:

2 hours ago, Belmo said:

Zing!

But I did -- for the Christmas auction. And it sold for 600 clams! :howdy:

If you figure in time to build mine should go for 6000clams...