FlackaWalkaFlame

What's your fishing log like?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Im going to start keeping a fishing log this year and wanted some input on what you all found useful.

How do you like to organize your log?

What do you note in your log?

What do you find is most important?

How do you use your log before going out for a night?

Real any suggestions or info would be appreciated! Thanks SOL

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was going to start a full log. I mostly fish Cape Cod and the Canal. Instead I use a CCC tide chart book. I mark down the tides I fish, hours, conditions, bait and fish. There's room to make notations in the margin. Works for me.

Edited by Sandbar1

I use a waterproof notebook. 

Date

Time

Weather (wind speed and direction, temp, water temp if you can get)

Tide, Moon

Fish caught, what you were using, who you were with, something you learned, something interesting 

Can be difficult to stay on top of it but its worth it. Obviously the more entires you have the more useful it will be. I only started finding it useful after keeping it for a full season (besides blatant trends like tides and what not) But once you start a new season you'll have an idea of where to go, what to use and what tide to target and WHEN it'll happen. Also fun to look back and see who you were with and how you did or other random stuff. 

25 mins ago, AudAtkins said:

I use a waterproof notebook. 

Date

Time

Weather (wind speed and direction, temp, water temp if you can get)

Tide, Moon

Fish caught, what you were using, who you were with, something you learned, something interesting 

Can be difficult to stay on top of it but its worth it. Obviously the more entires you have the more useful it will be. I only started finding it useful after keeping it for a full season (besides blatant trends like tides and what not) But once you start a new season you'll have an idea of where to go, what to use and what tide to target and WHEN it'll happen. Also fun to look back and see who you were with and how you did or other random stuff. 

Good points. I've heard of guys keeping them for 10+ years... what an awesome way to look back in time

Audatkins  said it well , I have kept a log for a little more than 25 plus years best thing I,ve ever did more than my best rod or reel or lures this is the one tool that has helped me have  a long productive , and happy fishing life, and yeah on those cold dark January nites fun to read , got some old black and whites in mine 

if you do it electronically make sure you have multiple backups. recently lost  the last 6 years to user error

Edited by part cork
sp

I've kept one for a couple years now and I'm glad I started. As Atkins said, it can be difficult to keep up but it's worth it. I've found that it's most useful to help draw conclusions on spots. All entries are evidence and reading previous logs helps crack the mystery of a spot - time of year, plus tide, plus wind, plus moon, plus bait (maybe,) = high likelihood of fish. Or high likelihood of no fish. Then you can zero in on what plugs or bait worked. And, as someone else said, it makes for some fun Jan/Feb reading!

I have faithfully kept a Fishing Log since 1964. Makes for some memorable reading during The winter. Through the years I have added and subtracted items from my diary.  I begin by The Date, Location, Tide and Current, Wind Moon and Water Temps. from a local Newspaper. I log the time I started and ended and the plugs used,  Fish taken OR a Skunking which I consider more important.  My logs are all hand written into 8 Large volumes. There is a  short story added to each outing and a recap the end of the season.

mr

On 5/14/2018 at 10:56 PM, manmadeballs said:

Check out the fishing points app

I started using Fishing Points for the first time this season. It’s actually been great so far. It has a GPS map feature so you can automatically tag your location. It then pulls tide/wind/moon phase info based on the location date/time. You can then add photos and notes and you can access all your trips/catches etc in one place. 

Edited by jesgord

Mine started as a template I downloaded but have been upgrading over the years and has changed quite a bit. Can sort each column easily. If I type "Keeper" in the fish column it automatically makes the text red (easier to keep track of my yearly count). Different tab for every year. I going to steal from Joey and add a wind column though. 

Log.JPG