Pma531

Making bluefish strips for fluke

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I did a search but did not quite find what I was looking for. I stripped a bluefish today to use as bait for fluke. I cut them half and inch wide and between 4 and 6 sixes long and probably around 1/8 of an inch thick (Give or take). I saw online that you can use Kosher Salt as a way to make the strips more durable. My question is if I don't have Kosher Salt can I use regular table salt? How much should I use too? Thanks for any information.

Iodized salt will turn the meat black, long as it's no iodized you should be ok. Normally salt, strips, good layer of salt, strips, so on and so forth in a tupplewear. I personally don't salt bait anymore.

Borax or kosher salt. $2 at Wally's Or your local grocery store. 

Iodized salt will discolor but it might not matter. 

Apply salt liberally, cover and put in the fridge overnight, dump juice and repeat at least two more times. Can store in fridge or freezer. 

Shave the skin off the filet.

The easiest way to do this is with a very sharp knife. Put the filet on a cutting board skin side down and slide the knife parallel to the skin (about an eighth of an inch above the skin). By lifting up the “meat” you can keep the skin piece relatively uniform in thickness as you progress your cut through the filet.  

Belly meat is about the right thickness for the strips. Trim off thick parts. 

Cut the thinned filet into tapered strips and salt.