loucar2

Have the bluefish started biting

30 posts in this topic

No, because we killed them all.  This has also led to thi decline in bass from the surf as the lack of blues pushing bait up on the beach has helped to shut down the bass bite as well.  Sucks. 

1 hour ago, jsbergen said:

No, because we killed them all.  This has also led to thi decline in bass from the surf as the lack of blues pushing bait up on the beach has helped to shut down the bass bite as well.  Sucks. 

yeah I dont disagree about killing to many blues, however the part about shutting down the bass bite is nonsense. Just like killing all the blues the striper stock is much leaner then years past.

Blue fish went  south...

tough love. 

good news, it allowed for a long pre spawn striper bite.  

Hats off to the bitches that enjoyed that. I'm sour about the lack of blues. 

we will see. Might be a while before they are back in numbers or size. 

1 hour ago, EricS said:

yeah I dont disagree about killing to many blues, however the part about shutting down the bass bite is nonsense. Just like killing all the blues the striper stock is much leaner then years past.

It’s not nonsense by any means in terms of  solely surfcasting. The bait schools are further out now due to the limited amount of blues pushing the bait in tight to the beach. Declining blues has been a big part of the reason bass from the surf has been getting worse for seasons now. 

I fished pretty hard this spring and have 1 blue to show for it caught in the lip on the beach. Every outing has produced bass for me except for 2. Of which were incoming tides. 

Two years ago it was out of control with how many I caught. In a way I'm thankful but on the flip side it's depressing... Its obviously not the same for everyone as far as catching them goes but this is just my experience....

7 hours ago, jsbergen said:

It’s not nonsense by any means in terms of  solely surfcasting. The bait schools are further out now due to the limited amount of blues pushing the bait in tight to the beach. Declining blues has been a big part of the reason bass from the surf has been getting worse for seasons now. 

It's still nonsense. Bass have been pushing bait tight to the beach with no blues in site since the beginning of time. Beach replenishment would be a better candidate as to why bass fishing from the beach has declined in recent years.

57 mins ago, IsmailG said:

It's still nonsense. Bass have been pushing bait tight to the beach with no blues in site since the beginning of time. Beach replenishment would be a better candidate as to why bass fishing from the beach has declined in recent years.

I'd have to agree with this thought. Go look at the MoCo beaches. For the most part they are a 2-3' deep desert til 60-80 yards from the surf line. 

16 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

Blue fish went  south...

tough love. 

good news, it allowed for a long pre spawn striper bite.  

Hats off to the bitches that enjoyed that. I'm sour about the lack of blues. 

we will see. Might be a while before they are back in numbers or size. 

I barely caught any compared to the past few years. They showed up late and didnt stick around for long. Just not a good spring in the surf this year.

On 5/28/2018 at 4:27 AM, Danny1199 said:

I'd have to agree with this thought. Go look at the MoCo beaches. For the most part they are a 2-3' deep desert til 60-80 yards from the surf line. 

Their are a few reasons why and beach replenishment is one for sure. As far as the lack of blues changing the feeding patterns of the bass statement then you must know more about the game than Doc Muller.  Silly me to even consider anything that guy says. 

1 hour ago, jsbergen said:

Their are a few reasons why and beach replenishment is one for sure. As far as the lack of blues changing the feeding patterns of the bass statement then you must know more about the game than Doc Muller.  Silly me to even consider anything that guy says. 

Just because that is his opinion doesnt mean it is an absolute. Bass do indeed follow bluefish blitz picking up the pieces. However,  that has been my experience the making of a great chunking bite. Bass by nature are lazy ambush predators, and inless we are talking about sub 20lb fish, I dont believe they like the competition of bluefish. 

Its june 3rd. 55 degrees out and water is 55.  Bluefish need to span in warmer water temps.  I had one good solid bluefish bite this year.   A guy came up to me and said he was tired of catching bass and was actually looking for blues.  

So i ask the question. Is it still possible for a massive bluefish bite in the rivers and back bays?   Im figuring maybe bc waters need to warm up.   

Or i can be completely wrong.  

I think the end is near. Size are getting smaller and smaller in the back, the bigger ones are outside or near the mouth of the inlet. Not even one blitz for me this year. Not even during the mini northeasters.  They are there, but very picky on what's on the table.  They must have been well fed off shore. Not the typical slim spring racers I have been catching this year. 

17 hours ago, hobobob said:

I think the end is near. Size are getting smaller and smaller in the back, the bigger ones are outside or near the mouth of the inlet. Not even one blitz for me this year. Not even during the mini northeasters.  They are there, but very picky on what's on the table.  They must have been well fed off shore. Not the typical slim spring racers I have been catching this year. 

I agree w/ them being pickey.

Bait fishers seem to be doing better.

I missed a bunch of bites this past Saturday in an inlet. Some little pick-ups, some chomps, a couple run offs too. Was only able to hook & hold 1 which latter came unbuttoned in the rocks. Frustrating. I was sure they were blues due to kicks & cuts in my line & lures. Only conclusion I could come up w/ was they weren’t really committing, perhaps just refex bites.

JD

before my May 28 post i had landed only 7 bluefish, 2 were biggest of the year at 32" and 37", and lost like 9 of them.

May 29 to today i've landed 17 of them, average size probably 22", and lost maybe 7 of them. 

Last spring i think i was up to 41 total and half of them gator sized, but i did have 13 in one morning and a couple of good late afternoon bites. Only fished 2 afternoon sessions this year.